Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] M3 K to E Lesson 3-4 - News Article

Page

Name EUNHYE KIM Date23-01-11 21:10 View1,221 Comment1

Content

Hi Teacher Mason,

1. On the 21st, an editor from(of) the U.S. IT professional media ZDNET reported accidently finding the hidden job posting on the Apple homepage.

1)Taking a chronological order into consideration,can I say 'having found' instead of 'finding' ? (an editor found first and then reported) 
2) Isn't it supposed to be 'Apple's homepage' (not just Apple homepage)? 

2. The hiring team is a system engineer who says the new recruit (the newly hired) will handle tens of thousands of servers, millions of disks and one exabyte (about one billion gigabytes) of data.
채용 직군은 시스템 엔지니어로, 신규 채용된 엔지니어는 수만 개의 서버와 수백만 개의 디스크를 다루며 1 엑사바이트(약 10 억 기가바이트) 분량의 데이터를 담당하게 된다고 쓰여 있습니다.

When I look at the Korean sentence, I would interprete it this way for the reasons below: 

"The posting says that the open position is a system engineer and the new recruit will handle tens of thousands of servers, millions of disks and one exabyte (about one billion gigabytes) of data." 

1) '채용직군' means a position/post to be filled, and not the subject to hire someone
2) according to the Korean sentence, a system engineer doesn't say anything. It is just a posted job.

What would you say?

3. The job listing was not posted on the homepage bulletin board, but it was hidden somewhere. So finding the job listing was (practically, virtually) the strategy to recruit engineers

Can I add Practically, virtually here? I just want to know the right usageof the adverbs

Thank you so much. 

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Eunhye!

Let’s see if I can help!
————————————————

1. On the 21st, an editor from(of) the U.S. IT professional media ZDNET reported accidently finding the hidden job posting on the Apple homepage.

1)Taking a chronological order into consideration,can I say 'having found' instead of 'finding' ? (an editor found first and then reported) 

-> Although I am not sure if that is necessary, you could. Still, “having found” doesn’t sound right, perhaps you could say “ZDNET reported that they had found…”?
————————

2) Isn't it supposed to be 'Apple's homepage' (not just Apple homepage)? 

-> Not necessarily. I think “NAME + homepage” is commonly said. You can check it by simply searching up the word “website” on Google to see what word is usually followed by the word “website”

————————

2. The hiring team is a system engineer who says the new recruit (the newly hired) will handle tens of thousands of servers, millions of disks and one exabyte (about one billion gigabytes) of data.
채용 직군은 시스템 엔지니어로, 신규 채용된 엔지니어는 수만 개의 서버와 수백만 개의 디스크를 다루며 1 엑사바이트(약 10 억 기가바이트) 분량의 데이터를 담당하게 된다고 쓰여 있습니다.

When I look at the Korean sentence, I would interprete it this way for the reasons below: 

"The posting says that the open position is a system engineer and the new recruit will handle tens of thousands of servers, millions of disks and one exabyte (about one billion gigabytes) of data." 

1) '채용직군' means a position/post to be filled, and not the subject to hire someone
2) according to the Korean sentence, a system engineer doesn't say anything. It is just a posted job.

What would you say?

-> Yes, agreed with both of your points! I believe this was a mistranslation on our end. My apologies!

————————

3. The job listing was not posted on the homepage bulletin board, but it was hidden somewhere. So finding the job listing was (practically, virtually) the strategy to recruit engineers

Can I add Practically, virtually here? I just want to know the right usageof the adverbs

-> I think both practically and virtually can be used fine here.

————————————————

I hope it helps!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration