Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] More questions (grammar and meaning)

Page

Name Suyoung So Date23-01-25 02:44 View1,455 Comment2

Content

Q1. Module 2- Lesson 2 News Broadcast (Last sentence)

뭔가에 쫓기듯이 일을 하기보단 소신껏 즐길수 있다면 지긋지긋한 여러분의 직장도 행복한 곳으로 바뀔 것이라 생각됩니다.

She says, instead of being pushed around, taking your own actions with change your unbearable workplace into a happy one.

In this sentence, is change a noun or a verb? Can I put change there with the following phrases "your unbearable workplace"?
Or should I say with changing your unbearable workplace into a happy one?

Q2. Module 4 - Lesson 2 Seventh sentence

But today, I want to talk to you more about the political nature of time, for if time had a race, it would be white. White people own time.
In this sentence, does "for" mean "because"?

Can this interpretation be like this?
--->나는 오늘 시간의 정치적인 성격에 대해서 이야기해 보고 싶습니다. 왜냐하면 만일 시간에 인종이 있다면 그것은 백인일 것이기 때문입니다.

Does the theoreical relationship in meaning between the first part and the next part make sense in English?
Would it be appropriate if I interpret "for~~~~" first and "I want to~~~" part next?
Which turn would be faithful for the meaning of the sentence?

Thank you always for your kind answer.

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Suyoung!

Here are my answers to your questions below!
———————————————
Q1. Module 2- Lesson 2 News Broadcast (Last sentence)

뭔가에 쫓기듯이 일을 하기보단 소신껏 즐길수 있다면 지긋지긋한 여러분의 직장도 행복한 곳으로 바뀔 것이라 생각됩니다.

She says, instead of being pushed around, taking your own actions with change your unbearable workplace into a happy one.

In this sentence, is change a noun or a verb? Can I put change there with the following phrases "your unbearable workplace"?
Or should I say with changing your unbearable workplace into a happy one?

-> I feel like the word “with” here should be “will” to make it grammatically correct. You could say “with changing your unbearable workplace into a happy one?” but the actual sentence is not delivering the correct meaning now.

———————————————
Q2. Module 4 - Lesson 2 Seventh sentence

But today, I want to talk to you more about the political nature of time, for if time had a race, it would be white. White people own time.
In this sentence, does "for" mean "because"?

Can this interpretation be like this?
--->나는 오늘 시간의 정치적인 성격에 대해서 이야기해 보고 싶습니다. 왜냐하면 만일 시간에 인종이 있다면 그것은 백인일 것이기 때문입니다.

Does the theoreical relationship in meaning between the first part and the next part make sense in English?
Would it be appropriate if I interpret "for~~~~" first and "I want to~~~" part next?
Which turn would be faithful for the meaning of the sentence?

-> Good catch. The sentence sounds weird. I gave it another listen and it sounds like the speaker actually says: “for time had a race”, without the “if”.

That being said, if we were to directly translate the sentence, it would sound like this:

“But today, I want to talk to you more about the political nature of time, for time [that] had a race, it would be white.”
하지만 오늘은, 시간의 정치적인 성격에 대해 이야기해 보고 싶습니다. 인종을 갖고 있는 시간의 경우, 그것은 백인일 것입니다.

Now, making it a little more understandable, I would say:

인종을 갖고 있는 시간의 경우, 그것은 백인일 것입니다.
-> 시간에도 인종이라는게 있다면, 그건 백인일겁니다.

———————————————

I hope this is clear!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Suyoung So님의 댓글

Suyoung So 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Thank you so much^^
I was just informed today that I passed ITT Translation test and will get a license soon.
Thank you for teaching me for the last few months with useful things to learn.

Do you teach Medical(?) English, too?
After Translation and Interpretation course, I'm kind of scared to study again, though....^^;;(the amount of lectures and things to write down were huge for me.)

Lastly, I have another question.
In my case, I find mistakes(repeatedly typed words or award translation(English to Korean) after I hand the finshed translation work in to my customer.(Now, they are acquaintances but I'm worried about my future customers who have no friendly relationship.)
I check it after I print it with my eyes but when I look at them after a few days, I still can see some mistakes sometimes in spelling.(It's not because I don't know the accurate word or spelling)

My problem here is that my eyes and my mind can not recongnize mistakes when my brain is twisted right after I finished translation work whether it's short or long. Well, even short one(less than A4) takes a little bit long time because I want to deliever the best meaning and make it look brilliant. ( I google or search the internet a lot to make the translation look more fancy.) But clients usually want urgent translation and they want us to do it as fast as I can. So before my brain becomes relaxed and has room to look at it with easygoing manner, I'm pressured to pass it to the client.

So my question is, to reduce mistakes and make translation work more economical in time and effort, do you recommend AI program to help it? If so, which one do you think is recommenndable? I don't want to look like an amature and I think I must solve this problem to become a competitive translator.

By the way, after I study  this course with you, I was admitted to a graduate school of translation and Interpretation even though it's not in Seoul. It will help my ability and skill to be developed.

Thanks for your teaching a lot!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?