Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Questions for Module 1

Page

Name Min Jeong Kim Date23-01-31 08:38 View1,009 Comment1

Content

Hello,
I have some questions for Module 1, both EtoK and KtoE.
I would appreciate your feedback with comments!

-EtoK
Module 1-1) On the first sentence of the first paragraph, "The scale of cruelty and corporal punishment ~", You translated cruelty as "잔인함."
                      But I thought translating cruelty as "학대" might be better. Which one is better?

Module 1-1) On the last sentence of 6th paragraph, is Nizamuddin a poor overcrowded "basti"?
                     Are both words-'basti' and slum-all explaining about Nizamuddin?

Module 1-3) On the 3.The most interesting thing about ~ paragraph,
                      I don't know why I feel a little awkward in this sentence: If you can't sustain genuine interest in the ideas of other people."
                      What does "sustain something in ~" mean?

Module 1-4) On the fifth paragraph, I translated third sentence like "1월과 7월의 겨울과 여름 상품 판매가 끝난 후에는 ~".
                       Would it be fine to translate like this?

-KtoE
Module 1-1, Sentence 7
1) Why do we use plurals as "new services" whereas it goes singular when it comes to system, like "a new system"?
2) Is this sentence fine? The transportation company started new services that replace old shuttle buses.

Module 1-1, Sentence 12
Is this sentence fine? I will inform you of the current developments in detail.

Module 1-1, Sentence 16
~ because managers led it to success with innovations. -> In this sentence, I think it is necessary to mention "it" as business because there is no explanation of what "it" is, in the previous sentence.

Module 1-2, the very last sentence
Is this sentence fine? If you leave your violin case open with a hat or a tattered basket, people will toss in coins and bills ~.

Thank you, and have a great day.
Sincerely, Min Jeong.

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Min Jeong!

First off, my apologies for the delayed response! Here are my answers to your questions:

——————
-EtoK
Module 1-1) On the first sentence of the first paragraph, "The scale of cruelty and corporal punishment ~", You translated cruelty as "잔인함."
                      But I thought translating cruelty as "학대" might be better. Which one is better?

-> If you believe “학대” sounds more correct, then by all means that is what you should do here! I do not think it does not change the meaning or the gist of the sentence either way.

——————

Module 1-1) On the last sentence of 6th paragraph, is Nizamuddin a poor overcrowded "basti"?
                     Are both words-'basti' and slum-all explaining about Nizamuddin?

-> I believe I briefly talk about this in the video but essentially I think it is basically referring to one district/area in India.

——————

Module 1-3) On the 3.The most interesting thing about ~ paragraph,
                      I don't know why I feel a little awkward in this sentence: If you can't sustain genuine interest in the ideas of other people."
                      What does "sustain something in ~" mean?

-> Here, the closest meaning of “to sustain” should be (무엇을) 유지하다/지속하다. To simplify, it is saying: “If you can’t keep being genuinely interested in other people’s ideas.”

——————

Module 1-4) On the fifth paragraph, I translated third sentence like "1월과 7월의 겨울과 여름 상품 판매가 끝난 후에는 ~".
                       Would it be fine to translate like this?

-> Sounds fine to me!

——————

-KtoE
Module 1-1, Sentence 7
1) Why do we use plurals as "new services" whereas it goes singular when it comes to system, like "a new system"?

-> To be honest with you, there is really no good explanation. Yes, in some cases there might be a specific reason why a noun is more commnly used in a singular vs plural form, but generally speaking, trying to look for this reason is often futile due to irregularities. I am glad that you noticed this point as this is a very first step to acquiring English, not simply learning it.

——————

2) Is this sentence fine? The transportation company started new services that replace old shuttle buses.

-> Yes.

——————

Module 1-1, Sentence 12
Is this sentence fine? I will inform you of the current developments in detail.

-> Mostly fine but I feel like the part “잠깐만 귀를 기울여 주시면…” is not really reflected?

——————

Module 1-1, Sentence 16
~ because managers led it to success with innovations. -> In this sentence, I think it is necessary to mention "it" as business because there is no explanation of what "it" is, in the previous sentence.

-> I am not sure if it is necessary to explain what “it” is as it sounds pretty clear that here “it” means the “retail business in dry economic periods”.

——————

Module 1-2, the very last sentence
Is this sentence fine? If you leave your violin case open with a hat or a tattered basket, people will toss in coins and bills ~.

-> Sounds good!

————————————————————————————————————————

I hope my answers help!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students