Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] To ITT teachers or any other teacher who can answer me.

Page

Name HYONG WOO CHOI Date18-05-11 09:14 View3,640 Comment7

Content

Like I posted on May 9, the answer that I submitted about question 4 in the ITT test is exactly the same as the correct answer but one teacher insisted that I had to use the preposition 'of' instead of 'for' and gave me only 1.50. I really think that both of them  are correct and my score should be restored at once. I strongly request to review the question and the correct answer and remark my answer again.

Comment list

Grace Yang님의 댓글

Grace Yang 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Hyong Woo,

Thanks for writing in, I got your messages and apologize for the delay in response. I wanted to get the opinion and thoughts of a colleague regarding your concern.

English brochures OF our domestic products/ English brochures FOR our domestic products
= are both grammatically correct but the meaning is NOT the same as you claim.

English brochures OF our domestic products means the brochures and the domestic products are ONE ENTITY; therefore, that the content of the brochure is filled with relevant information OF THE PRODUCTS.
English brochures FOR our domestic products means that the brochures and the products are SEPARATE ENTITIES; therefore in this case, it sounds like a request for brochures because it is needed to do something FOR THE PRODUCTS.

Another example is the University of British Columbia (UBC) = one entity, the name of a university
the university for British Columbia = two entities, a university that has been established FOR the province of BC.

I hope this clarifies things.

-Grace.

HYONG WOO CHOI님의 댓글

HYONG WOO CHOI 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Thank you for your answer Grace.
But still there is something I can't understand.
Of course, I know there is a difference of meaning between two prepositions but when I checked  the blank of correct answer after I submitted my ITT test, the correct answer I saw was 'for our domestic models' not 'of our domestic models'.
If you say that it's an error, then I have to say that I am really disappointed. Most students including me check the correct answer and study with them after submit the task. No offense but if you say that the correct answer that we study is not grammatically wrong but not enough to get 100 percent then what's the point of correct answer? You didn't mention about the correct answer which exactly same as mine so still I can't understand for my score. I hope there is no delay in getting your answer this time.

Grace Yang님의 댓글

Grace Yang 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Hello Hyong Woo,
As the answer is grammatically correct and you have made a very understandable argument we will reset the answer as we stand corrected. Since the answers have been technologically programmed and inputted, it considers only grammar and does not consider meaning.

I only wished to point out to you that the two sentences ARE NOT “exactly the same” as you stated in your original submission.
Nevertheless the answer shall be reset and congratulations on completing the course.

HYONG WOO CHOI님의 댓글

Hello Grace.
First of all, I said my answer is exactly the same as the correct answer not both sentences have the same meaning like you said.
I already know that there is a difference between the two sentences but I translated only one sentence not a paragraph so there was no information to help me understand the exact context. Although we translate the same Korean sentences into English, all sentences can't be the same since we use different words and grammar structures and if you translate the two sentences into Korean is there any difference of the meaning unless you really want to emphasize the "prepositions"? Maybe the person who made this ITT test wants the sentence you made but I still think that #4 Korean sentence in the ITT test can be translated into the sentence that I made.

HYONG WOO CHOI님의 댓글

Anyway, I really enjoyed the course and I still don't know if you will reset my score because you said you will reset the answer not my answer but there is something I really want to say. "The answers have been technologically programmed and inputted" is not something that students want to hear from teachets. You are the teacher and if you don't care about the answers then who does? It's embarrassing that Global College doesn't correct them although they already know there is a problem. I got 95.8 so I can give up 0.5 point but it doesn't feel good when you think you got the right answer after you checked the answer sheet and all of a sudden teacher tells you that answer sheet is wrong.  I really hope that Gobal College work for the betterment of this course.

Grace Yang님의 댓글

Grace Yang 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Hyong Woo,

I want to clear up any misunderstanding, your final score will reflect the full marks as you deserve every point. Thus, your final marks and certification will be as such.

Also, I fully apologize for any disheartenment and disappointment you may have undergone, as it is clearly not our motive or goal. Us teachers care very much about the answers, which is why we want to explain as much as we can when students are not clear of the answer. What I meant but technologically programmed is that there is a system where to a certain degree technology is used for evaluation as it assists with standardization; however, please do not misunderstand that us teachers look at each answer and hence why errors may arise as the assessment is half technology and half real evaluation.

Nonetheless, we thank you for bringing this up and bringing to our attention areas of improvement for the betterment of this online program and for prospective and future students.

Warm regards,
Grace

HYONG WOO CHOI님의 댓글

Hi Grace,
Thank you for your sincere apology. These online programs are the ones that I really wanted to study about two years ago so I am really passionate and eager about studying these courses. I feel that my effort and passion to studying English has been proved through the result and I'm really satisfied by the high-quality educative vidoes. I am grateful for your teaching and wish you all the best. Maybe this is the last comment that I leave but if you add other online courses I'll come back and learn from you more. Thank you and goodbye, Grace. Take care!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors