Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Social Language - Lesson 18

Page

Name Yoon Hwa Kang Date19-03-19 04:00 View2,891 Comment1

Content

Does 'municipal news' really fall into the category of 'social language'?
Social language, as explained in lesson 9, help introduce "slang, idioms, or other terms that native English speakers use on a daily basis". It basically refers to colloquial speech that English speakers use to to communicate naturally.
Meanwhile, 'municipal news' delivers its contents through formal speech, far from the colloquial way of how daily speech is spoken.

For question 4, "All of the following are examples of 'social language' except:"

If the answer choice was "discussing Municipal news", it would qualify as an example of 'social language',
but since it is simply 'municipal news', I think it fails to meet the criteria considering the language used in the news.
As for the computed answer "a recently taught structure", there is a chance for it to be a 'social language', because it is "recently" taught, it is not referring to the lesson or textbook itself. It is possible for "a recently taught structure" to be used in the form of social language by the student when discussing topics beyond the text.

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Yoon Hwa Kang,

You raise a very valid point.  However, I would say that, depending on the source of the municipal news, local stories can include quite a bit of slang and other colloquial terms.  Small town newspapers across Canada and the United States are far less formal than their nationwide counterparts, and can include quite a few idioms.

Despite that, I understand your point, and I think you're right; this question should be changed.  To thank you for raising this issue, I will award with you an extra point on your final assignment.  Please remind me though, as I can be forgetful. 

Anyhow, thank you again, and have a wonderful day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors