Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Module4 Lesson 7: Practising Structures

Page

Name HYUN SU KIM Date20-05-17 03:37 View2,996 Comment2

Content

Hi Allan,

First I would like to big thank you.
As a person who just jumps into teaching career, your teaching has helped me incredibly that I can apply to a real classroom situation.

I do have a couple of questions on a lesson 7:

1. What's a major difference between substitution practice and single word prompt.
For me, both looks similar as in replacing a new word to the structure. Could you explain me in detail with each definition and a couple of more examples that are not from the paper materials?

2. Is a free oral practice a part of meaningful practice or what's a relation between this and practicing structures as the free oral practice is more of type of free talking.

***The last question I have is something practical regarding classroom dynamics.***
I currently teach English speaking class with 10 different classes. A dynamic of one of classes I teach, all of students are introverted thinker. They are on low-advanced class for their overall English. I usually start the class with warm-up question like a easy free oral practice, but none of them have volunteered to answer and be dead silent. By the time when I pick someone, they finally say something with little word or phrase. I asked them to respond me even just simply by saying yes or no and encourage them speak more as you are in writing/speaking class, but they stay quiet throughout the class. I don't know how to get them engaged and interact actively in the class. For your information, I am Korean and have a deep understanding on my culture, but it seems like it's more than the culture. 

As you are a well-experienced teacher with ESL students, what would you advise me in this situation and how I can improve better with interacting with this dynamics.

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Hyun Su Kim,

First of all, thanks for the kind words of appreciation; it really makes me day.  Anyhow, let's take a look at your questions:

1.)  While substitution and single word promps practice activities can seem similar, they are in fact different.  Remember, that when doing a substitution practice activity, you are providing students with a similar structure to the structure you are practicing, and then getting them to use the original structure.  For example, let's say I just taught my class "gonna".  So I give them the sentence "I will go to the library tomorrow".  The correct answer I am looking for is, "I'm gonna go to the library tomorrow". 

On the other hand, single word prompts activities are when you provide a single word (or maybe two), and then students have to use the original structure.  Using the previously mentioned structure, let's say I give the word "soccer" to my students.  My students could answer by saying, "I'm gonna go play soccer tonight", or "I will watch a soccer game tonight".  Or maybe I gave them the verb "make".  So, they could answer in a variety of different ways, such as "I'm gonna make a plan" or "she's gonna go home", etc. 

As you can see, they are quite different.  We should also keep in mind that single word prompts activities are, in general, more difficult. 

2.)  Yes, free oral practice is a meaningful form of practice.  However, free oral practice also means that the students can work independently of the teacher.  It is a type of free talking, but there is a goal and topic.  The goal should be to get them to use recently taught structures and/or vocabulary, but in a free and independent way. 

** Your last question is a tricky one, as all of us who work in ESL face this problem from time to time.  I have three pieces of advice:  1.)  Don't spend too much time doing any form of free oral practice.  It is natural to start a class this way, but limit it to five minutes or less.  Do not let it drag on and get awkward if students are not speaking.  If you ask a question, and no one answers, skip, and move on to the day's lesson.  2.)  If you are practicing, or reviewing, some structure(s) and/or vocabulary, try to do some form of free oral practice near the end of the lesson.  Also, try to base the free oral practice on something that you know they like (video games, cartoons, sports, music, etc.).  3.)  This depends on how much power you have in the class, but if you are their teacher and you are the one giving them marks, I would think about creating an oral quiz that you do on a weekly basis.  This should force them to hopefully speak up more and realize that it is important that they do so, otherwise they will lose marks. 

Anyhow, I really hope that helps, as I know it can be hard to get some students to speak up sometimes.  Have a wonderful week!

HYUN SU KIM님의 댓글

HYUN SU KIM 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Thank you so much, Allan!

I really appreciate your took your time to make a detailed answer for my questions!

That makes much more sense now and will apply some of your advice into real classroom situation :)))))

Thanks a lot!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?