Q&A

[Online TESOL] Module 2

Page

Name Jiyun Jeong Date20-07-26 22:27 View2,218 Comment1

Content

Hello, Allan teacher :)
I just wanted to say that I had some mistakes for typing on last quesiton... :(
I missed a word "Be"...
I wrote down, ~~~ you can say, Careful you don’t trip up on the step. 
So I would write down as "Be  Careful you don’t trip up on the step."

So.... I just show you this again without some grammar and wrong typing mistakes...

Today's word is "trip". The "trip" word has both a noun and verb form. As a noun, it means a journey that you make to a particular place. 
So you can say like My camping trip was great with good weather last weekend. The trip used as a noun form in that sentence, so you have to put a verb. and you can also use is as a verb form. but it definitely has different meaning when you use "trip" word as a verb. it means like lose one´s footing or step. so I can give you an example of it. you can say, Be Careful you don’t trip up on the step. If you want to use both as a noun and verb form, then you can say "I tripped over my shoelace when I was hiking in my trip." Hope you can understand these meanings with examples. Thank you !

And also,Q.Providing students with a translation of a word is better than asking students to translate a word for us.
I was confused actually, because I thought 2cases... like if I provide students with a translation of a word then it might be right or wrong I guess.
and also if students don't get it rightly then they could me a wrong word so...  I guess... I just thought too overthinking(?) haha...

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Jiyun Jeong,

I will take into consideration what you have written here when I mark your answer. 

Also, about the question, this is a tough question.  Basically it is false, because if we ask students for translation, we can effectively check for understanding in a quick way, and this is fine.  However, providing translations is something we do not want to do so often.

Anyhow, try not to overthink things so much, and have a great week!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors