Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] some questions

Page

Name Jiyun Jeong Date20-08-02 03:57 View2,713 Comment1

Content

Module 4
#4    When creating a 3 step practice plan for practicing structures, an ideal plan would include:
Because I remember it's okay to do a mechanical practice and do 2 or 3 sentences are good enough...
if it's still wrong, then would it would a mechanical and others are for meaningful?

#6    Mechanical practice is inferior to meaningful practice and practically useless.
the tricky is "useless"? actually it's not useless.?

#10 How are controlled practice and free practice different (explain in detail). What kind of topics are useful for free practice activities?

sadly, I had no enough time to write it down for answer. I wanted to add some examplese of them I suggested as answer.
So I just tried to leave there for your marking!
Hope you can use this answer more than I submitted,if you can please!

Controlled practice is not as effective as structure practice that requires students more thinking because even teacher and students don't know the meaning of word but still just do practice.
There are a "Repetition" or "Substitution" as a controlled practice. Just do repeat after teacher said with a sentence or main structures.

But free practice one is we have to understand then we can answer which makes sense.
For example, we can show them a picture as picture prompts and this is especially good for younger ages.
and also "Free substitution" and this is easier for teacher and students to do practice. because students need to make up their own sentences.
and if they present their sentences as last step in free substitution might be a great practice for them.

So students can expandable answer via free practice activity. and also they can think more about topic and text.
and useful topic will be okay with student's country and another.
for example: Cultures between Korea(because I'm Korean) and Canada as same as what I learned via your video lesson.
Because students can more compare between one's country and other's with their cultures such as foods,clothes,weather and so on...

Thank you for checking my long texts again!
Have a nice day :)

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Jiyun Jeong,

Let's take a look at those questions:

4.)  The correct answer is D, because it goes mechanical>meaningful>meaningful. 

6.)  The answer is false because of the last portion "it is practically useless".  This is not true, it can be useful, but just for the first activity.

10.)  I will take this into consideration when I mark your answer.

Hope that helps and have a nice day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?