Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] simple question

Page

Name Takumi Kaede Date20-09-08 18:20 View1,758 Comment1

Content

Hello, Allan.

Nice to meet you, I am Takumi.

I would like to know the difference of specific question, general question, and prompt.
I could not understand well, although I watched video a couple of time.

Takumi,
Regards.

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Takumi,

No problem!  Now first of all, just keep in mind that all these questions are related to reading activities.  So, a specific question is a question where the answer is just one, or maybe two things that can be found in the text.  "Where did they go?" is a specific question because there is only 1 answer from 1 place within the text.  A general question requires students to read and find the answer from a number of different points in the text.  "What did they do?" could be a general question because maybe they did a number of different things (example answer:  "they went to the store, bought some flowers, then went to the square and had some drinks while they watched people".  The answer is not just from one point, it comes from multiple points throughout the text.  Lastly, prompts are actually pretty easy, because, remember, they are not questions.  Prompts will always start with either, "tell me about...." or "describe...." and there is no question mark (?) at the end of the sentence. 

Does that make sense?  If not, please post again and I'll try to respond to you as quickly as possible. 

Have a great day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?