Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] I have questions.

Page

Name Ahran Kim Date20-11-21 19:11 View2,098 Comment3

Content

Hi, Allan.
When I had a quiz, I saw a sentence like this 'Each question is out of 18 marks for a total of 36 marks'.
I can guess the meaning but I don't understand the exact meaning 'out of' in this sentence.
Whenever I see the word 'out of', I always come up with the word 'outside'.
But I heard it's also used when we talk about 'score'.
so,please explain the exact meaning of 'out of' in this sentence.

And as for 'questioning strategies'(Lesson 5. Asking questions), you made a chart about strategies.
For 'A'(The teacher asks a question & lets her students call out an answer together) and the fifth question(Does it give lazy students a chance
not to answer?) You marked 'X'.
I understood 'v' means applicable and 'X' means not applicable.
I think under this strategy lazy students get a chance not to answer, so I thought 'v'.
But you marked 'X'. I want to know why.

Last question is about a quiz of module 3.
Question number 4. When explaining the meaning of a structure, all of the following methods would be a good,except:
Is it possible to put article 'a' before adjective('good')?

Thanks a lot.
Have a nice day!

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Ahran Kim,

To be honest, explaining the meaning of "out of" is kind of tough.  The formal explanation is "indicating the source or derivation of something; from".  The sentence you provided is kind of weird.  "Each question is out of 18 marks for a total of 36 marks" would mean that all questions are worth 18 marks, the total number of marks is 36.  This is strange because it would mean that there are only 2 questions, and the total mark for both of them is 36.  Where did you see this?

As far as the questioning strategies part is concerned, don't worry, many people get confused about this.  The "V" meant that it was positive, and the "X" meant that it was negative.  It is true that '[t]he teacher asks a question & lets her students call out an answer together' gives lazy students a chance not to answer, but this is negative (it has a bad effect) and that is why I gave it an "X".  They do not mean applicable and not applicable.  Does that make sense?

Lastly, thank you for pointing out that mistake.  I guess because I rarely look at the T/F and MC questions that unfortunately there might be a minor grammar error from time to time.  This sentence is incorrect, there should be no article; this has to be changed.

Anyhow, I hope that all makes sense and have a wonderful day!

Ahran Kim님의 댓글

Ahran Kim 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

To be honest, explaining the meaning of "out of" is kind of tough.  The formal explanation is "indicating the source or derivation of something; from".  The sentence you provided is kind of weird.  "Each question is out of 18 marks for a total of 36 marks" would mean that all questions are worth 18 marks, the total number of marks is 36.  This is strange because it would mean that there are only 2 questions, and the total mark for both of them is 36.  Where did you see this?

Hi,Allan. I saw it in this website quiz. Every module quiz has that direction.Please check it, thanks.

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors