Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Module 5 Both (E->k, K->E)

Page

Name CHOLONG Han Date21-03-31 00:58 View3,368 Comment2

Content

Hello. Mason!
This is Cholong again!
If you would let me thank you for your detail explanations on each time I ask, I would be glad!
How's it going? I am doing great if you ask!
I keep working on revising and listening to your lectures, but there are still questions about the answers.

First of all, there are some questions from the Korean to the English side.
In Question 4, When we translate 영역 별로 나누다 into English.
I put "divide into", but the lecture recommends doing with "separate..."

I want to know what would be different between those two terms?
(If you give me specific example sentences, it would be great!)

In question 5, to translate '이미지를 가꾸다' into English.
I tried with the word 'take care of appearance', though the instructor advised me to do with 'refine it'.
Can I still do with mine?

In question 13, for '최종 모금 액수' I wrote the term "the final amount of the fund" but the lecturer taught me into 'final funds' then I can't see the meaning of 모금 though...

However, the instructor who taught me how to translate Korean into English was great!

Lastly, there are still some concerns about the Korean side, too.
In the Hongkong article, when we translate "more than A figure....", I did "A figure 이상인" but the lecture advised me to do "A figure이 넘는"
would it be different?

Another question with the same article, for "Non- Chinese media" I did "중국 언론이 아닌 다른 매체", though the reference advised me to do with the term "비 중국 매체".
(Honestly, I think it would be better with the recommendation. However, I think it would be still okay to do it with mine too!)

In the salary comparison article, when we translate "The headlines" I did "주요 기사들" and the recommendation was "언론들"

Also, for the equitably, what would be the difference between "공평" and "공정"?

In the last part of Module 5, question 4, when the author asks the delay of 60 days for adjusting their storage. 
I translated the term ask for into "도움을 구하다" but the instructor advised us with the term "도움을 요청하다."
I am just curious that in business writing, would it be better with 요청하다 than 구하다?

Wow! It was so long to know about the answers.
It means I need to try hard to make less. I will!
If you comment in detail, I would appreciate it!

Thank you for everything!

Cholong Han

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello, Cholong!

I am honoured with your kind words and I am doing well. I hope you are well as well. Let’s see if I can help!

—————
First of all, there are some questions from the Korean to the English side.
In Question 4, When we translate 영역 별로 나누다 into English.
I put "divide into", but the lecture recommends doing with "separate..."

I want to know what would be different between those two terms?
(If you give me specific example sentences, it would be great!)

-> Saying “dividing the task into …” would be just fine as well.

There really is no big difference between “to divide” and “to separate”, but “to divide” sounds like “나누다, 분배하다”, where “to separate” sounds like “~~을 떨어트려 놓다, 분리하다” to me.

If I want to say: “우리는 빵 한덩어리를 10조각으로 나눠서 먹었다.”
I would say: “We divided a loaf of bread into ten slices to share.”
I wouldn’t say “We separated a loaf of bread into ten slices to share.”

If I want to say: “분리수거를 할때는 유리병과 플라스틱을 나눠서 버려야한다.”
I would say: “When you are recycling, you should separate glass bottles and plastic bottles.”
I wouldn’t say: “When you are recycling, you should divide glass bottles and plastic bottles.”

—————
In question 5, to translate '이미지를 가꾸다' into English.
I tried with the word 'take care of appearance', though the instructor advised me to do with 'refine it'.

-> No, “take care of appearance” sounds awkward. If you want to use the word “appearance”, you could say something like “maintain your appearance”, or “work on your appearance”

—————
In question 13, for '최종 모금 액수' I wrote the term "the final amount of the fund" but the lecturer taught me into 'final funds' then I can't see the meaning of 모금 though...

-> I believe your translation is fine. I think it’s actually “액수” that is missing from “final funds”, rather than “모금” as I believe you used “amount” for “액수”? I think this is just because the word funds contain both of “모금” and “액수”, that is why teacher Grace said “final funds” would be sufficient.

—————

Lastly, there are still some concerns about the Korean side, too.
In the Hongkong article, when we translate "more than A figure....", I did "A figure 이상인" but the lecture advised me to do "A figure이 넘는"
would it be different?

-> I am not quite sure which part you are referring it to. I assumed you would be talking about the Article 5-1? The closest thing I found is “more than a quarter of the city’s population” and if this was what you were asking, I believe “도시 전체 인구수의 4분의 1 이상의 …” would be just fine as well!

—————

Another question with the same article, for "Non- Chinese media" I did "중국 언론이 아닌 다른 매체", though the reference advised me to do with the term "비 중국 매체".
(Honestly, I think it would be better with the recommendation. However, I think it would be still okay to do it with mine too!)

-> That would be fine in my opinion! :)

—————

In the salary comparison article, when we translate "The headlines" I did "주요 기사들" and the recommendation was "언론들"

-> Yes, I think so! In this context, just because we are not really talking about specific headlines of articles, I believe “주요 기사들” and “언론들” do not differ very much.

—————
Also, for the equitably, what would be the difference between "공평" and "공정"?

-> I do not see a significant difference between 공평 and 공정. They both could be translated as equitable or fair in my opinion!

—————

In the last part of Module 5, question 4, when the author asks the delay of 60 days for adjusting their storage. 
I translated the term ask for into "도움을 구하다" but the instructor advised us with the term "도움을 요청하다."
I am just curious that in business writing, would it be better with 요청하다 than 구하다?

-> I don’t think one is necessarily better than the other. However, I believe in this case it feels more accurate when you say “요청하다” rather than “구하다.”

Looking at the paragraph,

“We are writing today to ask for your cooperation in dealing with this problem. Specifically, we request that you grant us an additional 60 days issuance on all payments until inventories can be adjusted to normal levels.”

We see the expressions like “to ask for your cooperation”, and “we request that you grant us …” so I think it is natural to say “협력을 요청하기 위해서 입니다” , “연장해 주시는 것을 부탁드립니다.”

—————

I hope this helps!

Mason
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and