Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Module 1 General Question

Page

Name Samantha Balciunas Date21-06-05 08:18 View1,835 Comment1

Content

Hello!

While this is not a question about a specific problem set, I was hoping to get some clarification and maybe some example sentences on the different words about "one's self." Throughout the first module, a lot of these words came out and I am still not super confident on when to use each of the words.

One's self: 자기, 본인, 자기 자신, 자신
By one's self: 스스로, 혼자서

It would be really helpful to get some clarification on when it is most appropriate to use each of these words and possibly example sentences!

Thank you.
-Sam Balciunas

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Samantha!

First of all, thank you for using the Q&A board to ask the question! I always recommend this as there will be other students who might have similar questions as yours.

I believe we got a great question here. Let’s see if I can help!

——————————————————

First thing first, I know this may not be what you were asking but I think it is important to make sure that we are crystal clear on the difference between “oneself” vs “one’s self”

I believe the following post has done a beautiful job explaining it: https://writingexplained.org/oneself-or-ones-self-difference

——————————————————

When it comes to translating in Korean, although the Korean words you provided practically have the same meaning, I think the context should be the key to determine how it needs to be translated. Still, here are some points that might be helpful.

#1. “자기” vs “본인/자신”

In my opinion, “자기” sounds less formal than other words.

For example, to translate: “She spilled the coffee herself. Why is she blaming me?”

I would say: “자기가 커피 흘려놓고선 왜 내 탓이야?”
instead of “본인/자신이 커피 흘려놓고선 왜 내 탓이야?”

Another example: “The president Joe Biden spoke to the press himself that there will be no other press conference for the month of July.”

I would say: “대통령 조 바이든은 본인/자신이 직접, 7월달에는 다른 기자회견이 없을것이라 말했다.”
instead of: “대통령 조 바이든은 자기가 직접, 7월달에는 다른 기자회견이 없을것이라 말했다.”

As mentioned, this difference only happens because the word “자기” feels less formal than 본인 or 자신.
Generally this connotation difference will hold but this will not always be true as there will be occasions all of those words can be interchangeably used.

——————————————————————————————

#2. How about 본인/자기자신/자신?

“It is wrong to focus on every single person in your life, while ignoring one’s self.”

1) “본인은 무시하면서, 내 삶에 있는 모든 사람들에게 신경쓰는 것은 잘못된 일이다.”
2) “자기자신은 무시하면서, 내 삶에 있는 모든 사람들에게 신경쓰는 것은 잘못된 일이다.”
3) “자신은 무시하면서, 내 삶에 있는 모든 사람들에게 신경쓰는 것은 잘못된 일이다.”

Here, I really wouldn’t say there is a wrong/right usage as there is no significant difference in meaning. Remember, when we do translation/interpretation, we want to go for “meaning-for-meaning” rather than “word-for-word.” If I have to choose among those 3 translations, I would personally go with 2), but really there cannot be a specific reason as we are not really given with any context.

#3. “스스로” vs “혼자서”

For example, to translate: “You are going to eat this whole thing by yourself? Are you out of your mind?”

I would say: “이걸 전부 너 혼자서 먹겠다고? 제정신이야?”
instead of: “이걸 전부 너 스스로 먹겠다고? 제정신이야?”

Why? because here the meaning of “by yourself” has to do with “doing something alone (no other parties involved)” rather than “doing something  without someone’s help”

How about this one:

“Samantha, I have work in the morning now so I can’t give you a ride anymore. You will have to start going to school by yourself.”

I would say: “Samantha, 나 이제부터 아침에 일해야 되니까 차로 못 태워다준다. 학교는 너 스스로 가야될거야.”
instead of: “Samantha, 나 이제부터 아침에 일해야 되니까  차로 못 태워다준다. 학교는 너 혼자서 가야될거야.”

Why? because here the meaning of “by yourself” has to do with “doing something  without someone’s help” rather than “doing something alone”

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration