Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Questions_E to K_Module 3-4 Translations

Page

Name SUKYOUNG PARK Date22-07-24 02:24 View1,423 Comment1

Content

Hi Teacher, Mason,

Nice to meet you. I am SuKyoung Park, attending your online course of Business Translation.

I appreciate your good lessons. I learned a lot :)

As for the English to Korean translation of passages in Module 3-4, I have two questions as below:

• In the 2nd passage, "Enclosed are ...... and other materials describing our Thinking International film series."
I am confused if my translation (Thinking International 영화 시리즈를 설명하는 다른 자료들을 동봉합니다) is wrong as it is different from yours (Thinking International 회사를 설명하는 다른 영상 자료들을 동봉합니다).

• In the 4th passage, "distributorship"
The definition of distributorship is "a company that has an arrangement to sell the products of another company". Thus, I am confused if my translation (판매대리권) is wrong as it is different from yours (독점판매권).

Thanks in advance for your response.

All the best!

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Sukyoung!

I am glad that you are learning from my lectures! It is an honour!

Here are my answers to your questions!

* In the 2nd passage, "Enclosed are ...... and other materials describing our Thinking International film series."
I am confused if my translation (Thinking International 영화 시리즈를 설명하는 다른 자료들을 동봉합니다) is wrong as it is different from yours (Thinking International 회사를 설명하는 다른 영상 자료들을 동봉합니다).

- I think it just depends on how you read things. For me, I thought the Thinking International would be the name of the company, because it said in the next sentence “we would like to know your thoughts about the market for Thinking International in the U.S. and what services you could provide”. If you believe “Thinking International” is a name of a movie or a movie series, then your translation will make sense as well.

* In the 4th passage, "distributorship"
The definition of distributorship is "a company that has an arrangement to sell the products of another company". Thus, I am confused if my translation (판매대리권) is wrong as it is different from yours (독점판매권).

-> I believe the idea behind this is that if you have a distributorship in the area, this most likely means that you are going to be the only seller for that specific region.

For example, let’s say you have a friend Mason, who has a very unique cat toy business that is selling very well in Canada. Mason asks you to join his business and wants you to have the distributorship for sales in Korea. This would make sense for us to understand the word as “판매대리권” in Korean. However, what if Mason also gives distributorship to his friend Tyler in your city? Now you have a competition! You are going to tell Mason, “Hey Mason! Why did you give your friend the distributorship? Now I am making less money!”

I know I over-simplified the example above but I believe that’s the idea behind the term distributorship being translated as 독점판매권 as often the distributorship of an item or a brand is exclusive to one identity.

I hope this makes sense!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and