Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] To teacher Allan

Page

Name HYONG WOO CHOI Date18-01-26 20:51 View4,052 Comment4

Content

Hi, Allan! I just submitted the answers for the questions. I was wrong about the questions #2 and #6 but there are a few things I would like to ask you. I watched the entire Module 4 but I am not so sure if you mentioned about correcting errors (if you did I am sorry) and the answer for the question #6 I chose False because in your  video you said that the reasons we read are Factual reasons and pleasure, so I thought since you didn't mention about comparing what you read to your real experience the answer has to be false.

(I am modifying to ask you a question.)
I guess it's Saturday and your answer will be late but while I was watching a Module 5 there was a question that I wanted to ask you. What is the main purpose of using chart? I watched a video that you use it for practice and review after reading but do I have to use chart only in reading or can I use chart in presentation or in other stages?

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi again Hyong Woo Choi,

To be honest I can't really remember what questions #2 and #6 on module 4 were about, and I actually can't check them, since I only mark the written questions.  If you post them here, I might be able to help!

In regards to using charts, I would say that the main purpose of using charts is to help students to organize information, and to keep their attention while they're reading.  If students have to fill in a chart while reading (or while listening for example) it helps them to focus, and they especially help students to focus on information that we think is important.  Furthermore, by filling in charts, we are getting our students to create some well organized notes, that they can use for review later on, maybe before they have a test! 

Charts/tables/diagrams/etc, do not only have to be used during a reading stage.  Basically you can use them whenever you would like, as long as it makes sense.  Charts are also useful when doing listening activities for example. 

Anyhow, I hope that helps, and I hope you have a good weekend!

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi again Hyong Woo Choi,

In regards to the true or false question, the answer is 'true'.  While you're right that we read for either factual reasons or for pleasure, we can also compare what we have read to what has happened in our lives.  This was meant to be a tricky question though.

Anyhow, in regards to question #2, I believe that part was talked about during the second activity (although I could be wrong).  We talked about asking questions, and how we can organize how to check our students' understanding.  We can get them to answer the questions individually, in groups, or ask questions around the room.  I believe that was the second activity (sorry, can't really check right now). 

Well I hope that helps!

HYONG WOO CHOI님의 댓글

HYONG WOO CHOI 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

That was tricky enough to trick me :) Anyway I really appreciate for your answer. I'll try harder in the next Module! Have a good weekend, Allan!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors