Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Questions with regard to K to E Passages in Module 2

Page

Name Haera Kim Date22-08-03 02:24 View1,277 Comment1

Content

Hello, Teacher.
Although the weather is getting hotter and hotter, I hope you have been doing well.
The reason I am writing this is because I have some questions in Module 2 Korean to English Passages.

The model answer the instructor gave us is the following.
Thank you again for giving the opportunity for quality control and customer service.

I am wondering if it would be no problem to omit a direct objective like us or me after giving, which means we have learned that give is the verb that needs a direct objective and an indirect objective. So from what I can see, the above sentence seems a little unfamiliar.

I have one more question which is also related to grammar, but I know I shouldn't be too much obsessed with grammar.
However, as a professional interpreter in the near future, I do not think I should overlook grammar that I have difficulty understanding.

The model answer the teacher let us know is the following.
At this busy commuting time, there is someone who's getting their hair done.

As far as I know, his or her seems to be more accurate than their because someone is singular in this sentence. 

I always thank your for your sincere lecture and reply.
I look forward to your answer for my questions.

Best regards,
Sophia.

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Sophia,

Thank you for the wonderful questions and I hope you are doing well as well.

Here are my answers to your questions.

1. Thank you again for giving the opportunity for quality control and customer service.

-> Indeed I agree that saying “giving us/me the opportunity” would be technically more grammatically correct, but I believe it is omitted because it is implied.

2. At this busy commuting time, there is someone who's getting their hair done.

-> “Their” is commonly used to replace ‘his/her’ due to ambiguity in gender. Even if we know that we are specifying one person, if their gender is not clearly stated, it is indeed common to say “them/their” to address the person.

I hope this answers your questions Sophia!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs