Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] To teacher Allan

Page

Name HYONG WOO CHOI Date18-01-30 22:42 View3,614 Comment3

Content

Hi, Allan! I just finished my midterm test. I have questions about the answers that I was wrong and I hope you solve my mysteries :)

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Hyong Woo Choi,

In regards to your first question, "do part of the activity as a class first" just means that we should provide an example to our students, so this is why option #4 is the answer.  Just think that "do part of the activity as a class first" basically means "provide students with examples". 

In regards to your second question, I understand what you're saying.  However, the first option would be suitable in a number of different cases (of course it depends on the text).  Let's imagine the text is an opinion piece from a newspaper about terrorism.  You could tell your students you're going to talk about terrorism, and then give them a bit more detail about what they're going to read about.  Students could then make questions based on what they want to know, and possibly debate the topic before starting.  So, it is possible, but not suitable for lower level students. 

Also, while it is okay to present new vocabulary before reading a text and possibly also presenting a structure, I think that just (only!) presenting one structure table and then having students do repetition before reading a text is just not a very good idea.  It seems a bit boring, and remember, the idea of doing a 'pre-reading' activity is to hopefully encourage and motivate students in order to get them to want to read the text.  That's why it is not a good option.  However, I think if you present a structure AND vocabulary, this would be okay, but again, it depends on the vocabulary and whether the words are interesting for the students or not. 

Well, good thing I read your question right before I went to sleep!  Anyhow, I hope that helps, and have a wonderful day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors