Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)_New] EtoK+MODULE1_video 3,4

Page

Name JI IN CHOI Date22-09-02 21:24 View1,233 Comment2

Content

Hi, Mason, i have one questions for one translation for video 3, 4.

1. there was an argument which was joined by the girl's mother
this sentence is translated as "그녀의 엄마까지 합세하여 말다툼이 벌어졌다."

-> I wonder the reason that why is that written a passive ' was joined by the girls's mother'. I can guess, it is for emphasizing "argument". can i ask you am i right? 

2. On being objected to he abused the girl and created a ruckus
-> 'abused the girl ' you translated as "소녀를 학대하다"
I feels little awkward translating as '학대하다' , can i translae to say "소녀를 욕하다".
I'd like to ask you which one is better or the reason why you translated like that.

detectives are now faced with the task of identifying the body. 
-> Word "faced with" means '직면하다'.  But in this sentence, you translated as "알아내는 일을 한다".
I wonder that why the writer used 'faced with'... you said in translation , we have to try focusing on legibility and the meaning of sentence, so i want to understand sentence clearly.

thank you!

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Ji In,

Here are my answers and comments to your questions!

——————————————————
1. there was an argument which was joined by the girl's mother
this sentence is translated as "그녀의 엄마까지 합세하여 말다툼이 벌어졌다."

-> I wonder the reason that why is that written a passive ' was joined by the girls's mother'. I can guess, it is for emphasizing "argument". can i ask you am i right?

-> A passive form of writing is very common in English and this is not something that we can say there is always a specific purpose. I personally don't think there are any specific reasons behind the usage in this case.

——————————————————
2. On being objected to he abused the girl and created a ruckus
-> 'abused the girl ' you translated as "소녀를 학대하다"
I feels little awkward translating as '학대하다' , can i translae to say "소녀를 욕하다".
I'd like to ask you which one is better or the reason why you translated like that.

-> I believe it will depend on what kinds of "abuse" you think it was done. When we say "abuse", it could be either one of physical abuse or verbal abuse. I believe the Korean word "학대하다" can also easily mean "폭력적인 언어를 사용하다" and "신체적으로 폭력을 휘두르다"

——————————————————
detectives are now faced with the task of identifying the body.
-> Word "faced with" means '직면하다'.  But in this sentence, you translated as "알아내는 일을 한다".
I wonder that why the writer used 'faced with'... you said in translation , we have to try focusing on legibility and the meaning of sentence, so i want to understand sentence clearly.

-> "알아내는 일" is technically for "the task of identifying". "To face with something" essentially means "무언가와 직면하다, [피하지 않고] 맞서다".

The sentence: Detectives are now faced with the task of identifying the body.

is basically saying,

Detectives have to do the task of identifying the body.
= It is detectives' job to identify the body.

——————————————————

Overall, when you ask questions like "I wonder why the writer used ...." or "Why is this written ....",  it is generally not possible for me to give you a good answer and I personally think that's not really something we should worry about.

Let me give you an example.

Let's say you want to say "I was hungry so I ate pizza" in Korean.

You said "나는 배가 고파서 피자를 먹었다."

Now, what if I ask you: Why did you say "배가 고파서"? Why didn't you say "배고파서?"
Is it wrong if I say "나는 배고파서 피자를 먹었다."
Why is it "나는"? Can I say "난 배가 고파서?"
If I say "피자를 먹었다" doesn't it usually imply we order a pizza so is it wrong if I say "피자를 시켜먹었다"?

You see, it doesn't end. You can always ask questions of this manner but there will never be a good answer so instead of worrying about "WHY" each expression is used in the original language, I want you to think about "HOW" each expression can be translated in the other language. Remember, my translation is not the answer. There is never just one answer and understanding that there are many different ways of translating a sentence will definitely help you improve your translation skills.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

nasr fananas님의 댓글

nasr fananas 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

إلهامك لتصميم غرفة نوم مودرن: أفكار مبتكرة لتحقيق الأناقة والراحة
تعد غرف نوم مودرن مصدر إلهام للكثيرين الذين يرغبون في إضفاء لمسة من الأناقة والراحة على مساحاتهم الشخصية. سواء كنت تبحث عن تجديد غرفة نومك الحالية أو تصميم غرفة نوم جديدة للأطفال أو البالغين، فإن استخدام عناصر التصميم المودرن يمكن أن يضمن لك نتائج مذهلة. في هذا المقال، سنقدم لك أفكارًا مبتكرة وعروضًا لغرف النوم المودرن التي تلبي متطلباتك وتعكس ذوقك الفريد.
https://fwrooms.com/offers

تصميم غرفة نوم مودرن :
أول خطوة في تحقيق غرفة نوم مودرن هي اختيار الأثاث المناسب. يمكنك الاستفادة من اختيار طقم غرفة نوم كاملة يتضمن سريرًا مودرن، خزانة ملابس أنيقة، ومرتبة سرير عالية الجودة. يجب أن يكون التصميم بسيطًا ونظيفًا، مع استخدام الخشب والمعادن والزجاج للحصول على مظهر عصري وأنيق.

تصميم غرفة نوم للأطفال :
https://fwrooms.com/غرف-مواليد/c1869176896
لتصميم غرف نوم  اطفال ، يمكنك استخدام الألوان الزاهية والأنماط الجريئة. استخدم الأثاث المناسب للأطفال مثل السرائر ذات التصاميم المميزة والخزائن العملية. يمكنك أيضًا إضافة لمسات من المرح والإبداع مثل الديكورات الجدارية الملونة أو الألعاب المبتكرة التي تناسب اهتمامات الأطفال.

مراتب سرير عالية الجودة :
https://fwrooms.com/مراتب/c1634988605
لا يمكن التغاضي عن أهمية الراحة في غرفة النوم. اختيار مرتبة سرير عالية الجودة هو جوهري لتحقيق نوم هادئ ومريح. تحقق من العروض المتاحة واستشر خبراء المراتب للحصول على الخيار المثالي الذي يلبي احتياجاتك ويوفر الدعم المناسب للجسم.

عروض غرف النوم المودرن :
https://fwrooms.com/تخفيضات-غرف-نوم/c422842329
قبل اتخاذ قرار الشراء، ينصح بالبحث عن عروض غرف النوم المودرن المتاحة في السوق. يمكنك العثور على مجموعة متنوعة من الخيارات بأسعار مناسبة وجودة عالية. قم بزيارة المعارض وتحقق من المواقع الإلكترونية للعثور على الصفقات الجيدة والتخفيضات.

خاتمة:
تصميم غرفة نوم جاهزة مودرن يمكن أن يكون مثيرًا وممتعًا. استكشف الأفكار المذهلة والابتكارات الجديدة في عالم تصميم الديكور الداخلي وابحث عن العروض المناسبة لتحقيق غرفة النوم المودرن التي تحلم بها. باستخدام هذه الأفكار والعروض المثيرة للاهتمام، يمكنك تحقيق تصميم رائع وعصري لغرفة النوم المودرن. لا تنسى أيضًا البحث عن عروض غرف النوم الجاهزة المتوفرة في السوق، حيث يمكنك العثور على مجموعة واسعة من التصاميم المودرن التي تناسب احتياجاتك. استثمر وقتًا في التخطيط واستعن بخبراء التصميم إذا لزم الأمر للحصول على نتيجة مثالية. تذكر أن غرفة النوم هي مكان الاسترخاء والاستعادة، لذا يجب أن تكون مريحة وتعكس ذوقك الشخصي في نفس الوقت. استمتع بتصميم غرفة نومك المودرن واستمتع بلحظات الراحة والهدوء فيها.
https://fwrooms.com/

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?