Q&A

[Online TESOL] module 2

Page

Name SO HEE YU Date18-08-08 01:40 View3,096 Comment3

Content

Hello, Allan
I have questions about Q4,7
Two questions are kind of confusing.

Q4:  You mentioned that active vocabulary is very useful and will need to know and use on a daily basis.
But I choose answer 4) Voca will need to understand and use on a daily basis because I have to choose one of them
Anyway I thought it is definitly very useful but active voca is not defined just as thing that is very useful.
but it’s still confusing for me

Q7: You talked about three ways of keeping  Ss’ attention focused on our lesson.One of them was  to ask Ss to copy our strucure table.
But you mentioned that it works but doesn’t seem to be important..
I repeated your video but it’s still ambiguous.
 Can you explain it ?

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi So Hee Yu,

To be honest I only mark the written questions, so sometimes I forget what all of the options and questions were for the t/f and multiple choice questions.  in order to help you more with question 4, could you please post the question and some of the options? 

In regards to your question about asking students to copy I can't remember exactly what I said right now, but I think that asking students to copy is a good way to maintain their attention when writing a structure table on the board.  I would say that continuing to speak and either asking students to copy or asking them for suggestions, or both, is a good way to maintain students' attention.  I hope that makes sense.

If that does not make sense, just ask me again.  Also please tell me more about question 4, and I will try to get back to you asap.  Have a nice day!

Cheers!

SO HEE YU님의 댓글

SO HEE YU 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Thank you for your comment

and about Q.4
Active vocabulary is:
    PART 1: Multiple Choice - Please choose the correct answer

1) Vocabulary that includes a lot of action verbs.
    2) Vocabulary that students will not need to use on a daily basis.
    3) Vocabulary that is very, very useful.
    4) Vocabulary that students will need to understand and use on a daily basis.

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi again So Hee Yu,

Well you chose the correct answer!  The thing with active vocabulary, is that it is a term that we use in TESOL.  It simply means vocabulary that we believe students will have to learn and possibly use on a daily basis if living in an English speaking country.  It could basically be viewed as "essential vocabulary" or "important vocabulary".  Passive vocabulary on the other hand, while not useless, is simply not as useful.

Now, you might be wondering why this is useful.  Well, this is useful when we are planning a lesson and we're planning to teach some vocabulary.  We should think about which words we believe are active and passive, and plan to spend more teaching the words we believe are active, and less time teaching the words we believe are passive.  When it comes to words that are passive, maybe it is best to simply translate and move on, because we don't want to waste too much time explaining them.  However, if we have to teach active vocabulary, we should more time and effort into teaching them.

So, basically these two terms, active and passive (in regards to vocabulary), are important for teachers to understand, because it helps us to plan better.  Well, I hope that makes sense, and if not, just post again!

Have a great day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?