Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Questions for Module 2

Page

Name JINKYEONG LEE Date22-10-10 07:51 View1,651 Comment1

Content

Hi Mason

I have managed to upload all quizzes and complete the homework for module 2. Thus, the midterm exam is around the corner.
Beforehand, I would like to clarify my questions in module 2.

1) 죄송하지만, 그 일은 감당하기 벅찹니다. 그것은 내 전문분야가 아니거든요.

Grace covered this sentence as ' Unfortunately since the task is not in my line of work, it is very difficult. / I’m sorry to say since it is not in my line of work, the task is difficult.;

If I interpret this as ' Unfortunately, I feel overwhelmed to handle this as this is not within my scope. '?

2) 밀린 일들이 많아요.

The modeled answer was ' I have a lot of work to catch up on.'
If I interpret this sentence as ' I have a bunch of work to catch up on. or I have a lot of work to keep up with. ', does this sound okay?

3) 첫째는, 가격과 판촉 물품을 결정하는 것이 의제입니다. 둘째는, 경험 있는 노동력이 필요하다는 점입니다.

In this context, can I replace "experienced manpower" with "experienced workforce"?

4) 이번 일은 극히 드문 일이라 생각되며 귀사에 많은 불편과 손실을 끼친 데 대하여 진심으로 사과드립니다.
(We want to inform you that this is very uncommon.) However, we apologize for the inconvenience and the time wasted caused by us.

Grace initially did not interpret "이번일은 극히 드문 일 " as this is not the essential part of the sentence.

But is it okay to omit some parts of the sentence as long as I deliver the message of what the entire sentence would like to say?
Perhaps, is it natural if I interpret this as, On rare occasions, this happens. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience and time wasted caused by us.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Blaire Lee

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Blaire!

Here are my answers to your questions!

——————————————————

1) 죄송하지만, 그 일은 감당하기 벅찹니다. 그것은 내 전문분야가 아니거든요.

Grace covered this sentence as ' Unfortunately since the task is not in my line of work, it is very difficult. / I’m sorry to say since it is not in my line of work, the task is difficult.;

If I interpret this as ' Unfortunately, I feel overwhelmed to handle this as this is not within my scope. '?

-> Yes your interpretation sounds perfect!

——————————————————

2) 밀린 일들이 많아요.

The modeled answer was ' I have a lot of work to catch up on.'
If I interpret this sentence as ' I have a bunch of work to catch up on. or I have a lot of work to keep up with. ', does this sound okay?

-> Yes, indeed. Also you could say: “I am [falling] behind”, “I have a lot of work that need to be done”, etc.

——————————————————

3) 첫째는, 가격과 판촉 물품을 결정하는 것이 의제입니다. 둘째는, 경험 있는 노동력이 필요하다는 점입니다.

In this context, can I replace "experienced manpower" with "experienced workforce"?

-> Yes.

——————————————————

4) 이번 일은 극히 드문 일이라 생각되며 귀사에 많은 불편과 손실을 끼친 데 대하여 진심으로 사과드립니다.
(We want to inform you that this is very uncommon.) However, we apologize for the inconvenience and the time wasted caused by us.

Grace initially did not interpret "이번일은 극히 드문 일 " as this is not the essential part of the sentence.

But is it okay to omit some parts of the sentence as long as I deliver the message of what the entire sentence would like to say?
Perhaps, is it natural if I interpret this as, On rare occasions, this happens. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience and time wasted caused by us.

-> I personally think the part should not have been omitted. Although it is possible some segments of the utterance get omitted, the principal idea is that your interpretation should be accurate and complete. Here, I do think the “이번 일은 극히 드문 일이라 생각되며” carries a significant meaning thus it should be interpreted. Your interpretation works but if we wanted to keep the sentences together, you could say: “We believe it was a rare occasion and …”

——————————————————
I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration