Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] K to E Module 1 Video 2

Page

Name EUNHYE KIM Date22-10-12 19:21 View1,428 Comment2

Content

Good morning teacher Grace,

Thank you for your class.
I have some questions on the sentence no.8 and no.10.

No.8
In the korean sentence, we see the word '최저생계비' but it seems to me that 'enough money' doesn't deliver that meaning. (I feel like it needs a word to refer to 최저)
To get a good score on the exam, should be more specific with word or is it just fine to use 'enough money' ?

No.10
In the Korean sentence I see the word, '자제' and it means 'to refrain' 'to stop completely'
So I think 'keep conversation down' has a different nuance.
It sounds to me that you can have a conversation but just lower your voice a little.
Could you clarify this?

Thank you for your attention :)

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Eunhye,

————————————————————
No.8
In the korean sentence, we see the word '최저생계비' but it seems to me that 'enough money' doesn't deliver that meaning. (I feel like it needs a word to refer to 최저)
To get a good score on the exam, should be more specific with word or is it just fine to use 'enough money' ?

-> We definitely want to deliver the meaning and if you believe that the word 최저생계비 should be translated differently so that it delivers the correct meaning then by all means I think you should. For the exam, as long as your translation is not changing the meaning of the original sentence, you will generally not see any deductions in your mark.

————————————————————
No.10
In the Korean sentence I see the word, '자제' and it means 'to refrain' 'to stop completely'
So I think 'keep conversation down' has a different nuance.
It sounds to me that you can have a conversation but just lower your voice a little.
Could you clarify this?

-> I think that is a valid point; however, if you look up the meaning of the expression “자제하다” it is really saying “자신의 감정이나 욕망을 스스로 억제하다”.

Probably it would’ve been more of a concern if the Korean expression was “삼가해주세요” but to my honest opinion, it really depends on how individuals understand it.

If somebody says to you: “대화를 좀 자제해주시겠습니까?”, does that mean “stop the conversation” or “lower your voice [but it’s okay to have a conversation]” ? I think it is debatable.

To summarize, it is good that you are wondering about the nuances and connotations and that really is something you will always think about as a translator. My recommendation is that often there might not be THE answer so we just have to understand there may be different ways of doing things.

————————————————————
I hope this is clear!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration