Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Module 4 Questions

Page

Name JINKYEONG LEE Date22-10-23 22:57 View1,389 Comment2

Content

Hi Mason,

I hope you are doing great.
I have submitted all assignments for module 4 and I am about to proceed with Faintest anytime soon.

1. I take great pleasure ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~on expatriate investment ~~~~~~~~~~~.

I noticed that you interpreted an expatriate investment as 재외동포 투자. I wonder if I can interpret it as 재외국민 투자.

2. black and white
I understand that you covered this vocabulary as ' 이분법적인'.
However, I have often heard people say, ' you must show me the black and white before you guilt-trip me. '
Does this work in a situation when showing proof or something or you are bullet-proven?

3. Isn't race a heavy-handed concept?
The modeled interpretation was '인종에 관한 언급은 충분히 되지 않았나요?' I wonder if I am to interpret this as '인종 대한 언급은 그만할 때 아닌가요?'. What the speaker is trying to say ' it's time to stop judging people by their race. It's outdated behavior to judge people by their skin color and race. '
I guess.

4. 첫 번째 안건에 대해서 김씨의 의견을 들어보기로 하지요.
Why don't we hear the first item from Mr. Kim?

If we use the word ' agenda' instead of 'item' does it sound odd in this context?
I have looked up the definition of agenda, it is a list of business activities. Is this not applicable when we specifically talk about '첫 번째 안건, 두번 째 안건?'

5. 다른 한편으로는 사교육비는 분명히 증가할 것이다.
However, private education expenses will increase.

Can we use 'private tuitions' instead of private education expenses? In Korean culture, '사교육비' refers to costs/expenses for instruction or training in a small group after school.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Blaire 

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Blaire!

My apologies for the late response! Here are my answers to your questions.

—————————

1. I take great pleasure ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~on expatriate investment ~~~~~~~~~~~.

I noticed that you interpreted an expatriate investment as 재외동포 투자. I wonder if I can interpret it as 재외국민 투자.

-> Yes, I think so!

—————————
2. black and white
I understand that you covered this vocabulary as ' 이분법적인'.
However, I have often heard people say, ' you must show me the black and white before you guilt-trip me. '
Does this work in a situation when showing proof or something or you are bullet-proven?

-> I think the meaning you mentioned also derives from the expression “흑백논리/이분법적인.” So, to elaborate, saying “in black and white” meaning “covering everything”. Thus the expression you gave: “you must show me the black and white before you guilt-trip me” would more likely sound “내가 죄책감 느끼게 만드려고 하는거면 일단 이 상황의 양면을 다 설명을 해봐”… maybe?

—————————

3. Isn't race a heavy-handed concept?
The modeled interpretation was '인종에 관한 언급은 충분히 되지 않았나요?' I wonder if I am to interpret this as '인종 대한 언급은 그만할 때 아닌가요?'. What the speaker is trying to say ' it's time to stop judging people by their race. It's outdated behavior to judge people by their skin color and race. '
I guess.

-> I think that can be one possible interpretation amongst many! Well done.

—————————

4. 첫 번째 안건에 대해서 김씨의 의견을 들어보기로 하지요.
Why don't we hear the first item from Mr. Kim?

If we use the word ' agenda' instead of 'item' does it sound odd in this context?
I have looked up the definition of agenda, it is a list of business activities. Is this not applicable when we specifically talk about '첫 번째 안건, 두번 째 안건?'

-> Hm, I would say it does sound a bit odd if you swap the word “item” with the term “agenda”. Even the original sentence, I think I would say “Why don’t we hear ‘about’ the first item from Mr. Kim?” But anyway, you are correct on it being a list of business activities/goals/plans/things-to-talk-about, etc. It doesn’t always have to be a list and it definitely can be one specific agenda depending on the topic I believe but generally you would assume there are many things when we say talking about something on the agenda.

If you were to use the word agenda, I would say: “Why don’t we hear about the first item on the agenda from Mr. Kim?”

—————————

5. 다른 한편으로는 사교육비는 분명히 증가할 것이다.
However, private education expenses will increase.

Can we use 'private tuitions' instead of private education expenses? In Korean culture, '사교육비' refers to costs/expenses for instruction or training in a small group after school.

-> I feel like the word “tuition” has a very specific meaning of “등록금/학비” so if you were to use the word “tuition” I would say “However the tuition for private education will increase.”

—————————

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

JINKYEONG LEE님의 댓글

JINKYEONG LEE 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Thank you for your detailed explanation.
I have completed the final test as well as the ITT test.

Coming up next, I will be communicating with you during my TCT course.
Although the material is pretty much the same as ITT, I think it's good for refresher.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Blaire Lee

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs