Glenn College
Q&A

[TCT TRANSLATION & INTERPRETATION] Questions for Module 1

Page

Name JINKYEONG LEE Date22-10-30 05:28 View1,573 Comment1

Content

Hi Mason,

I hope you are doing great. I finished watching all videos for module 1 and submitted all homework.
Before I move onto the next module, I want to clarify below;

[E-K]

1. , Korea JoongAng Daily reports, "because it echoes the official birth years of his father and grandfather, North Korean founder Kim Il Sung."

I want to polish this sentence. Can I re-translate this as
' 김정은의 정확한 출생에 대해선 논란의 여지가 있으나, 정부는 1982년으로 지정했다.
한국 중앙 일보에 의하면, 김정은의 출생년도가 그의 아버지, 북한의 창시자인 할아버지 김정은의 공식 출생연도를 반복하기 때문이다.

2. The show launched this week offers everyday tips on men's skin care, hairstyling, and even moustache grooming.

For here everyday tip, can I translate as 일상적인 팁?
So my translation for this sentence will be ;
해당 프로그램은 이번주 방영 시작했으며, 남성을 위한 스킨케어, 헤어스타일링, 콧수염 관리에 이르기까지 일상적인 팁을 제공한다.

3. In article1-4, hundreds of millions of people, does this literally mean a number of people? or it is a way of emphasizing '수많은 사람들' ?

4. 이번 주말에 건물을 완벽하게 보호할 수 있도록 모든 출입구를 철저히 점검하세요.
Please secure all the entrances so the building will be fully protected this weekend.

=> Grance mentioned that if we are going to use 'check' as a main verb, we cannot straightaway use 'will be protected'.
She said, 'we need to check the building, then it will be secured and eventually will be protected'

But I wanted to know 'Why?' both verbs 'to secure' and 'to protect' has the feeling of 안전을 지키다, 보호하다.

[Interpretation]
5. In the article about Behavioral Economics, there is a discrepancy.
The script shows ' miss important details' however the recording say ' miss important deadlines' 

Even in the homework for interpretation, the audio clip says ' miss important deadlines'

6. 또한 외부인이 중국에서 무언가를 하는게 얼마나 어려운 일인지도 알 수 있습니다.
It is obviously not easy for foreign companies to start a business in China.
=> '외부인' in this context, is this referring to 'foregin companies' not just outsiders right?

아마존부터 징가까지 사실 상 미국에 내로라 하는 테크기업은 전부다 중국 시장에 진출했거나 문이라도 두드려봤습니다.
All the major technology companies, from Amazon to Jinga, have found their way to the Chinese market or have already entered the market.

하지만 애플과 IBM, 인텔 등 몇몇 기업을 제외하면 현재 중국에 발을 깊숙이 들여놓고 활발하게 사업하는 회사는 거의 없다고 봐도 무방합니다.
However, few companies are actively engaged in business relationships with China, except Apple, IBM, and Intel.

=> These sentences were not covered in the video, so there was no way I could compare my interpretation with the model answer.
Anyways, kindly advise if there are any rooms to be improved in my interpretation.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Blaire Lee

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Blaire!

I apologize for delayed answers but here they are!

——————————————————————————

[E-K]

1. , Korea JoongAng Daily reports, "because it echoes the official birth years of his father and grandfather, North Korean founder Kim Il Sung."

I want to polish this sentence. Can I re-translate this as
' 김정은의 정확한 출생에 대해선 논란의 여지가 있으나, 정부는 1982년으로 지정했다.
한국 중앙 일보에 의하면, 김정은의 출생년도가 그의 아버지, 북한의 창시자인 할아버지 김정은의 공식 출생연도를 반복하기 때문이다.

-> It sounds fine to me!

2. The show launched this week offers everyday tips on men's skin care, hairstyling, and even moustache grooming.

For here everyday tip, can I translate as 일상적인 팁?
So my translation for this sentence will be ;
해당 프로그램은 이번주 방영 시작했으며, 남성을 위한 스킨케어, 헤어스타일링, 콧수염 관리에 이르기까지 일상적인 팁을 제공한다.

-> I believe so since the term “팁” carries the same meaning in this context.

3. In article1-4, hundreds of millions of people, does this literally mean a number of people? or it is a way of emphasizing '수많은 사람들' ?

-> I believe we talked about this but to reiterate, I think it is common to use it as an expression of saying a large number. In this specific case, since it does equate to the population of China, I think it can be easily either one depending on how you read it.

4. 이번 주말에 건물을 완벽하게 보호할 수 있도록 모든 출입구를 철저히 점검하세요.
Please secure all the entrances so the building will be fully protected this weekend.

=> Grance mentioned that if we are going to use 'check' as a main verb, we cannot straightaway use 'will be protected'.
She said, 'we need to check the building, then it will be secured and eventually will be protected'

But I wanted to know 'Why?' both verbs 'to secure' and 'to protect' has the feeling of 안전을 지키다, 보호하다.

-> Although I cannot speak for the instructor’s explanation, I believe your main question is the difference between “to protect” and “to secure”.

I am not entirely sure if the difference exists and even if so, I don’t think it is significant for one to worry about. Perhaps one could think that “protecting” something is keeping something safe so it does not get damaged where “securing” something would be more of a preventive measure.

Suppose you are a bodyguard who must protect the president of a country. If there is a shooter who just shot the president, you would “protect” the president, not secure. If you knew that there will be a shooter on the loose, you might try to secure the area by bringing in more bodyguards.

[Interpretation]
5. In the article about Behavioral Economics, there is a discrepancy.
The script shows ' miss important details' however the recording say ' miss important deadlines' 

Even in the homework for interpretation, the audio clip says ' miss important deadlines'

-> This could be a simple error so you may disregard!

6. 또한 외부인이 중국에서 무언가를 하는게 얼마나 어려운 일인지도 알 수 있습니다.
It is obviously not easy for foreign companies to start a business in China.
=> '외부인' in this context, is this referring to 'foregin companies' not just outsiders right?

-> Yes I believe so.

아마존부터 징가까지 사실 상 미국에 내로라 하는 테크기업은 전부다 중국 시장에 진출했거나 문이라도 두드려봤습니다.
All the major technology companies, from Amazon to Jinga, have found their way to the Chinese market or have already entered the market.

하지만 애플과 IBM, 인텔 등 몇몇 기업을 제외하면 현재 중국에 발을 깊숙이 들여놓고 활발하게 사업하는 회사는 거의 없다고 봐도 무방합니다.
However, few companies are actively engaged in business relationships with China, except Apple, IBM, and Intel.

=> These sentences were not covered in the video, so there was no way I could compare my interpretation with the model answer.
Anyways, kindly advise if there are any rooms to be improved in my interpretation.

-> I believe we talked about this briefly as well and the translations above sound good to me! Well done.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration