Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] A question about moudle 3_lesson 4

Page

Name Heeje Jeon Date22-12-01 18:44 View1,183 Comment1

Content

Hello,
There was a part that made me think it might be a misinterpretation while watching the video of lesson 4.

1. 채용 직군은 시스템엔지니어로, 신규 채용된 엔지니어는 수만 개의 서버와
수백만 개의 디스크를 다루며 1 엑사바이트(약 10 억 기가바이트) 분량의 데이터를
담당하게 된다고 쓰여 있습니다.

If you translate this into what you did, which was "The hiring team is a systems engineer who says the new recruit will handle of~~~",
It would mean that a system engineer is hiring other engineers.
However, in the Korean paragraph, they mean "the team that Apple is newly hiring", in my opinion.
So the correct interpretation would be:
"The team they are hiring is system engineers who will handle tens of thousands of servers, millions of disks, and one exabyte, about one billion gigabytes, of data."
Please give me feedback as they are quite the opposite meanings.

2. 이 채용공고가 홈페이지 게시판에 올라온 것이 아니라
어딘가에 숨겨진 상태였기 때문에, 채용공고를 발견하는 것부터가 엔지니어를-채용하는
관문이었던 셈입니다.
The job listing was not posted on the website bulletin board and was hidden somewhere, so finding the job listing was the strategy to recruit engineers.
Isn't it supposed to be 'so' instead of 'but' as it says '때문에'in the Korean paragraph?

Also, there were a couple of other questions that came up.

3. I was wondering if you could use the word 'homepage',
as I remember, in one of the previous lectures, I was taught to use the word 'website' instead.

4. Can I use 'by coincidence' or 'by chance' instead of 'accidentally' in the second sentence?

Thank you.

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Heeje,

Here are my answers to your questiosn!

———————————————————————————————————————

1. 채용 직군은 시스템엔지니어로, 신규 채용된 엔지니어는 수만 개의 서버와
수백만 개의 디스크를 다루며 1 엑사바이트(약 10 억 기가바이트) 분량의 데이터를
담당하게 된다고 쓰여 있습니다.

If you translate this into what you did, which was "The hiring team is a systems engineer who says the new recruit will handle of~~~",
It would mean that a system engineer is hiring other engineers.
However, in the Korean paragraph, they mean "the team that Apple is newly hiring", in my opinion.

So the correct interpretation would be:
"The team they are hiring is system engineers who will handle tens of thousands of servers, millions of disks, and one exabyte, about one billion gigabytes, of data."
Please give me feedback as they are quite the opposite meanings.

-> I agree that what the sentence is saying is that it’s the “System Engineer” that they are looking to hire and the duties that the position will perform. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

2. 이 채용공고가 홈페이지 게시판에 올라온 것이 아니라
어딘가에 숨겨진 상태였기 때문에, 채용공고를 발견하는 것부터가 엔지니어를-채용하는
관문이었던 셈입니다.
The job listing was not posted on the website bulletin board and was hidden somewhere, so finding the job listing was the strategy to recruit engineers.
Isn't it supposed to be 'so' instead of 'but' as it says '때문에'in the Korean paragraph?

-> Strictly speaking, if it says “때문에” then we should “because of”, “due to” or “since”, shouldn’t we?

Although it is easy (and often correct) to equate some of these words, for example, “because = 왜냐하면”, “and = 그리고”, “but = 하지만”, by doing so, you are severely limiting your language proficiency and translating abilities. I personally think the English translation sounds fine with the word “so” as the meaning of the original sentence is not altered.

If this confuses you, try making a simple sentence with a similar structure:

나는 생선을 좋아하기 때문에 우동 대신 초밥을 먹을래.

= I like fish so I will have sushi instead of Udon.
= I will have sushi instead of Udon since I like fish.
= As I like fish, I would like to have sushi rather than Udon.

Also, there were a couple of other questions that came up.

3. I was wondering if you could use the word 'homepage',
as I remember, in one of the previous lectures, I was taught to use the word 'website' instead.

-> If your question is “Can I use the word homepage?” then my answer is yes. If your question is “Is website more commonly used than the word homepage?”, then my answer is also yes.

4. Can I use 'by coincidence' or 'by chance' instead of 'accidentally' in the second sentence?

-> “By coincidence” and “by chance” are perfectly interchangeable. “Accidentally” however could mean something slightly different.

Saying:
“I ran into Rose, my high school friend, by coincidence” sounds fine but not
“I ran in to Rose, my high school friend, accidentally.”

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs