Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Module 1_ K to E Lesson 3&4

Page

Name EUNHYE KIM Date22-12-21 00:42 View1,381 Comment2

Content

Hello teacher Mason,
Here are my questions again :)
Thank you as always for your attention

1.영정사진에 대한 부정적인 인식으로 많은 요양원이 촬영을 거부하기도 했지만
Although many nursing homes refused to take portraits due to negative implications,

The English sentence sounds to me that nursing homes refuse that they(=nursing homes) take portraits.
(=it is nursing homes who take portraits)

But in fact nursing homes don't want "the students" to come and take portraits,right?
If so, I think the sentences below sound more clear.

-refused them to take portraits
-refused their taking portraits

Could you clarify this?

2.어르신들은 사진을 찍어줘서 고맙다고 소중히 간직할 거라고 전했는데요
The elders thanked the students for taking their portraits and they said they would cherish them

In the Korean sentence, the elders said two things: 1)that thay thanked 2)that they would cherish
So my sentence is like : "The elders said that they thanked the students for taking their portraits and would cherish them forever"

Would this work as well?

3.숨은 맛집을 찾기 위해 2년 동안 지구 두바퀴의 거리를 돌아다닌 사람들이 있습니다.
There is a group of people who have been around the world twice in two years to find the best restaurants.

As far as I know, '지구 두 바퀴의 거리' is a slightly exaggerated metaphorical expression to stress how much legwork they did.
(In this program, people only travel throughout Korea, but NOT overseas)

So based on this, my sentence is like....
"There is a group of people who have travelled the equivalent of twice around the world in 2 years to find the best restaurants"
Does this make sense or is it too word-to-word translation?

4. 그동안 찾아다닌 맛집만 무려 4천 곳이 넘는다고 합니다
During that time, they say they have been to over 4,000 restaurants

Can I say "During that time, they have allegedly or reportedly been to over 4,000 restaurants"? 
I was wondering if allegedly or reportedly is the right word choice here.

5. 맛집의 후기를 보고 찾아갔는데 별로 맛이 없었던 겁니다.
He got mad because he would go to the restaurant after reading their reviews, but the food didn’t meet his expectations.

Why use the verb 'would' here ?

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Eunhye!

Here are my answers to your questions.

—————————————————————
Although many nursing homes refused to take portraits due to negative implications,

The English sentence sounds to me that nursing homes refuse that they(=nursing homes) take portraits.

But in fact nursing homes don't want "the students" to come and take portraits,right?

Could you clarify this?

-> The sentences you provided sound fine with the only exception of clarifying “them/their”. As long as the context is clear that “them” are referring to “students”, I believe it’s all good!

—————————————————————

2.어르신들은 사진을 찍어줘서 고맙다고 소중히 간직할 거라고 전했는데요
The elders thanked the students for taking their portraits and they said they would cherish them

In the Korean sentence, the elders said two things: 1)that thay thanked 2)that they would cherish
So my sentence is like : "The elders said that they thanked the students for taking their portraits and would cherish them forever"

Would this work as well?

-> Yes that works.

—————————————————————

3.숨은 맛집을 찾기 위해 2년 동안 지구 두바퀴의 거리를 돌아다닌 사람들이 있습니다.
There is a group of people who have been around the world twice in two years to find the best restaurants.

As far as I know, '지구 두 바퀴의 거리' is a slightly exaggerated metaphorical expression to stress how much legwork they did.
(In this program, people only travel throughout Korea, but NOT overseas)

So based on this, my sentence is like....
"There is a group of people who have travelled the equivalent of twice around the world in 2 years to find the best restaurants"
Does this make sense or is it too word-to-word translation?

-> Hm, I understand what you are meaning to say, but I think the sentence feels a bit odd. I think you are definitely on point that saying “지구 두 바퀴의 거리” is an exaggeration. The term “equivalent” should be replaced with “equivalence” and the expression “twice around the world” sounds a bit weird. You could say the twice the distance of going around the world?

—————————————————————

4. 그동안 찾아다닌 맛집만 무려 4천 곳이 넘는다고 합니다
During that time, they say they have been to over 4,000 restaurants

Can I say "During that time, they have allegedly or reportedly been to over 4,000 restaurants"? 
I was wondering if allegedly or reportedly is the right word choice here.

-> Both allegedly and reportedly sounds a bit too formal here. I think the word “apparently” might fit better.

—————————————————————

5. 맛집의 후기를 보고 찾아갔는데 별로 맛이 없었던 겁니다.
He got mad because he would go to the restaurant after reading their reviews, but the food didn’t meet his expectations.

Why use the verb 'would' here ?

-> This is just another usage of the term “would”, to describe something that had happened in the past, similar to “used to”.

ex) When I was a child, I would go hiking with my parents every Saturday.

—————————————————————

I hope it helps!

Happy holidays,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

EUNHYE KIM님의 댓글

EUNHYE KIM 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Thank you so much Mason,
You are always a great help !

Let me ask you again about your answer below,
I'm afraid I don't understand it.

> Are you saying that, in this sentence, the context is already clear that the 'students' take portraits? so nobody reads this as 'the nursing homes' take portraits?

and 'them, their' should be removed in my sentences below to be grammatically correct?

The English sentence sounds to me that nursing homes refuse that they(=nursing homes) take portraits.

Could you clarify this?

-> The sentences you provided sound fine with the only exception of clarifying “them/their”. As long as the context is clear that “them” are referring to “students”, I believe it’s all good!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors