Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Module 2 questions

Page

Name JEEHYUN KIM Date23-01-15 23:33 View1,415 Comment1

Content

Hello Mason,

Thank you for the detail explanation for module 1 homeworks. I think I have a better understanding of how I will do my homeworks.

I have a couple of questions regarding the translation and assignment.

1)When I translate English to Korean, how should I decide to say ~입니다/~이다, or ~했습니다/했다, etc.
I know it is probably based on the nuance of the whole sentence, but it is hard to notice the nuance.

2)From the English to Korean assignment, there was a part that I need to correct the grammar error, but it is too hard to find the wrong part when I don't even know the meaning of the sentence.

3)Do I have to use the vocabularies from the beginning of assignment when I make the tranlation? I tried to use them as much as I can, but some sentences made sense without using the exact words.

Thank you for your help.

Best,
Jeehyun

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Jeehyun!

Thank you for the questions. Let’s see if I can help!

1)When I translate English to Korean, how should I decide to say ~입니다/~이다, or ~했습니다/했다, etc.
I know it is probably based on the nuance of the whole sentence, but it is hard to notice the nuance.

-> There is no answer! Sometimes it can be obvious, other times it won’t be so obvious. I would like you to go with whatever you think it’s right but I would like you to make sure that you keep things consistent!

For example:

안녕하세요, 저는 메이슨입니다. 저는 고양이를 굉장히 좋아합니다. (O)
안녕하세요, 나는 메이슨이다. 저는 고양이를 굉장히 좋아해요. (X)

—————

2)From the English to Korean assignment, there was a part that I need to correct the grammar error, but it is too hard to find the wrong part when I don't even know the meaning of the sentence.

-> Fixing common grammar errors is designed for students who might get confused with some basic grammar issues. My suggestions? Try not to worry too much about the assignment portion. As long as you show that you tried, you will not be penalized for wrong answers on your homework; however, please make sure to watch the lecture videos to see what the instructor has to say.

3)Do I have to use the vocabularies from the beginning of assignment when I make the tranlation? I tried to use them as much as I can, but some sentences made sense without using the exact words.

-> No you do not, as long as you are delivering the correct meaning of the original sentence.

I hope it helps!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and