Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Lesson 4-1 & 4-4 - ITT Sentences, News articles

Page

Name EUNHYE KIM Date23-01-16 19:14 View1,548 Comment1

Content

Hello teacher Mason.

Here are my questions.
Thank you in advance for your kind attention

1.다른 토의사항이 더 있어요? 그렇다면 시간이 허용하면 다루겠습니다.
Can I translate "시간이 허용하면" into "If time permits"?

2. 개인적인 생각이 나 주관적인 논쟁은 하지 말아주십시오
Teacher Grace said that we don't say 'subjective argument' (주관적인 논쟁), but why?

3. 테이블 한 바퀴 도는 식으로 하지요.시계방향으로 시작해요.
Let’s go around the table. Let’s begin clockwise.

Can I just simply say, "Let’s go around the table clockwise"? (bring two sentences into one)

4. 컴퓨터가 바이러스에 감염된 것 같아요
It seems the computer is infected by a virus

Can I say "The computer seems to be infected by a virus"?

5. 현직운동선수들이제품개발에 직접 기여했으며, 피겨스케이트터인 자라라리 역시 제품을 테스트한 이들 중 한 명이다.
Zara Lahri, a figure skater, is one of the athletes who tested the hijab

Can I say, "(Incumbent) athletes tested the product and Zara Lahri, a figure skater, is one of them"?

6. A Nike headquarters in Beaverton announced the product will launch from next year

1) Why do we use 'a' instead of 'the' even though Nike headquarters is one specific place everybody knows?
2) Considering tense agreement, I'd like to say "A Nike headquarters in Beaverton announced the product would launch from next year"
Is this right? 
3) The verb launch has been always confusing to me because I think I've seen both usage in articles, videos..etc.  Which one is right ? Are both right? 
-The product launched
-The product has been launched (passive)

7. The U-17 Women’s World Cup in Jordan last October recorded the first time (when)Muslim players wearing hijabs at a FIFA event. 
I think the verb 'were' is missing here 
(The U-17 Women’s World Cup in Jordan last October recorded the first time (when)Muslim players were wearing hijabs at a FIFA event.)

8. In 2014, FIFA recognized Muslim and Sikh players by eliminating the ban on head coverings 
IMHO, the fact FIFA scrapped the ban is more important, so I'd like to say "FIFA eliminated the ban on head coverings recognizing Muslim and Sikh players. "
It sounds more natural in accordance with what the Korean sentence tries to mean.

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Eunhye!

Thank you for the questions. Let’s see if I can help!

——————

1.다른 토의사항이 더 있어요? 그렇다면 시간이 허용하면 다루겠습니다.
Can I translate "시간이 허용하면" into "If time permits"?

-> Yes you can.

——————

2. 개인적인 생각이 나 주관적인 논쟁은 하지 말아주십시오
Teacher Grace said that we don't say 'subjective argument' (주관적인 논쟁), but why?

-> Perhaps because almost all of arguments are in general due to the difference in subjectivity? I personally wouldn’t say it is wrong or anything but  I think it is just one of those things that many people commonly say but technically not 100% logically correct. For instance, saying “In my personal opinion… (제 개인적인 생각은…)” is often deemed redundant as all of your opinion is indeed personal.

——————

3. 테이블 한 바퀴 도는 식으로 하지요.시계방향으로 시작해요.
Let’s go around the table. Let’s begin clockwise.

Can I just simply say, "Let’s go around the table clockwise"? (bring two sentences into one)

-> For sure you can.

——————

4. 컴퓨터가 바이러스에 감염된 것 같아요
It seems the computer is infected by a virus

Can I say "The computer seems to be infected by a virus"?

-> Yes you can.

——————

5. 현직운동선수들이제품개발에 직접 기여했으며, 피겨스케이트터인 자라라리 역시 제품을 테스트한 이들 중 한 명이다.
Zara Lahri, a figure skater, is one of the athletes who tested the hijab

Can I say, "(Incumbent) athletes tested the product and Zara Lahri, a figure skater, is one of them"?

-> The term incumbent sounds off here. You usually use the word “incumbent” to describe an established company or like a politician who is in office.

——————

6. A Nike headquarters in Beaverton announced the product will launch from next year

1) Why do we use 'a' instead of 'the' even though Nike headquarters is one specific place everybody knows?

-> Saying “a” or “the” would not make much difference here in my opinion.

——————

2) Considering tense agreement, I'd like to say "A Nike headquarters in Beaverton announced the product would launch from next year"
Is this right? 

-> It depends. When I just read the sentence, the aux verb “will” sounds better than “would” because it provides more certainty. Does that mean saying “would” is wrong? No not necessarily.

——————
3) The verb launch has been always confusing to me because I think I've seen both usage in articles, videos..etc.  Which one is right ? Are both right? 
-The product launched
-The product has been launched (passive)

-> Both right in many cases. Occasionally one will sound weird than the other and this is not something you can just pinpoint and learn.

——————

7. The U-17 Women’s World Cup in Jordan last October recorded the first time (when)Muslim players wearing hijabs at a FIFA event. 
I think the verb 'were' is missing here 
(The U-17 Women’s World Cup in Jordan last October recorded the first time (when)Muslim players were wearing hijabs at a FIFA event.)

-> Yes indeed and it is very common to see this sort of omission.

——————

8. In 2014, FIFA recognized Muslim and Sikh players by eliminating the ban on head coverings 
IMHO, the fact FIFA scrapped the ban is more important, so I'd like to say "FIFA eliminated the ban on head coverings recognizing Muslim and Sikh players. "
It sounds more natural in accordance with what the Korean sentence tries to mean.

-> Sounds good to me!

——————————————————

I hope it helps!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students