Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] A question about quiz2

Page

Name Jun Woo Kwon Date18-03-15 18:30 View3,096 Comment2

Content

Hi again, Allan!
I am really appreciate of your comments. I hope I didn't interrupt your sleeping this time^^

I wanna ask you some more fundamental stuff.
As you know, I made a mistake in using preposition in this quiz.
Frankly speaking, using proper preposition is one of my main problems when I use in English. ^^;;
You know, English is not my mother language. I usually have tried to memorize as many cases as possible so far.
I wanna find a more effective way to use correct preposition from now on.
Besides, If you can give me some advice, it will be definitely helpful to my future students.

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Jun Woo Kwon,

I totally understand; prepositions are something that many students struggle with. 

My advice is as follows: firstly just remember that we use on with days of the week; in for months and years; at for specific times and holidays.  Secondly, I recommend having a structure table with the different uses and combinations of prepositions in your classroom, or on you, and remember to go over it in detail with your students.  Thirdly, remember to do some practice activities with your students, and maybe just yourself, to help them, and yourself, to memorize and use prepositions correctly.  Fourthly, unfortunately it is a good idea to memorize some collocations (words that go together), it takes time, but it is worth it since learning prepositions as part of phrases and fixed expressions will help to improve a student’s proficiency. 

Unfortunately prepositions will always be tough and they take a lot of time, memorization, and practice to master.  I also recommend checking out some online resources and seeing whether you can find any good activities that help practice prepositions.

Anyhow, I hope that helps, and sorry about the late response!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors