Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Questions for Module 5

Page

Name Min Jeong Kim Date23-02-16 07:41 View1,026 Comment1

Content

Hello, Mason!
I have some questions for Module 5.

*E to K
Module 5-1) For the last sentence in the second paragraph, how should I translate "Outside another school ~"? Is it like "다른 학교 밖에서는 ~"?

Module 5-2) In the fourth paragraph, how should I translate "a year" in the last sentence? Would it be fine to translate like "~평균 근로자 임금상승은 1990년 22,952 달러부터 2010년 29,267 달러였다."

Module 5-3) This article uses both past and present tenses often, so I wonder whether I should consider all these tenses in translations.

*K to E
Module 5-1 Sentences 13) I translated as : The fundraisers were disappointed that the final fund fell short of 5% to their ultimate goal.

Is it fine to say like this?
Also, if I want to put "than" instead of "to", should I translate like "~final fund fell short of 5% less than their ultimate goal"?

Module 5-2 Paragraph 2) For the fourth sentence, is it fine not to put "a" before "part"? ->Supermarkets are now part of the community.

I think it is fine to say a part or just part, without "a".

Also, I am preparing for the final ITT test now and little worried.
Is there any.. tip to pass the test?
If there is, I would be very happy to hear about it :)

Thanks, and have a great day!

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Min Jeong!

Here are my answers to your questions!

——————————————————

*E to K
Module 5-1) For the last sentence in the second paragraph, how should I translate "Outside another school ~"? Is it like "다른 학교 밖에서는 ~"?

-> Yes, I think that will be correct!
—————————

Module 5-2) In the fourth paragraph, how should I translate "a year" in the last sentence? Would it be fine to translate like "~평균 근로자 임금상승은 1990년 22,952 달러부터 2010년 29,267 달러였다."

—————————
-> Here, “a year” would be exactly same thing as “per year”.

“Average worker pay rose from $22,952 a year in 1990 to $29,267 in 2010, the report said.”

The sentence above is saying:

In 1990, the average worker’s pay was $22,952.
In 2010, the average worker’s pay was $29,267.

Saying this in Korean should sound like: “1990년에 $22,952였던 근로자 평균 임금은 2010년에 $29,267로 상승했다.”

—————————
Module 5-3) This article uses both past and present tenses often, so I wonder whether I should consider all these tenses in translations.

-> Often the answer is no. You do not have to follow all the present/past tenses just because that is how it’s written. Instead, try to think of how it sounds in the other language.

—————————

*K to E
Module 5-1 Sentences 13) I translated as : The fundraisers were disappointed that the final fund fell short of 5% to their ultimate goal.

Is it fine to say like this?

-> I think using “from” would be better sounding than “to”.

Also, if I want to put "than" instead of "to", should I translate like "~final fund fell short of 5% less than their ultimate goal"?

-> Yes, that’s correct.

—————————

Module 5-2 Paragraph 2) For the fourth sentence, is it fine not to put "a" before "part"? ->Supermarkets are now part of the community.

I think it is fine to say a part or just part, without "a".

-> Yes, I also think it can go both ways.

—————————

Also, I am preparing for the final ITT test now and little worried.
Is there any.. tip to pass the test?
If there is, I would be very happy to hear about it :)

-> Only thing that I can say is to relax and read the questions very carefully! You will have more than enough time to finish your exam. Instead of translating literally, try to think about the meaning of text more.

—————————
I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration