Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Regarding your comment on my homework assignment

Page

Name SUNGEUN JO Date23-03-26 11:46 View1,047 Comment2

Content

Hello Mason,

First of all, thank you so much for offering this wonderful course!
I had few opportunities to do some translation and interpretation work (unpaid/ volunteering) while I was in Canada (Ontario) and here in Korea. This year, I finally decided to take an official test/ get an official certificate in translation & interpretation and your lectures are great help for a beginner in this field, like myself :) I also subscribed to your Youtube channel!

Long story short, I have a concern regarding your comment on my very first homework assignment. You mentioned that it is obvious when a student copies someone else's work (plagiarism), and since I am fully aware of the consequence of the misconduct I would like to tell you that I did the assignment myself. Prior to this class, the office/ 빨간깻잎 told me that I could start studying and do some of my homework assignments through the 예습센터 (I have a quite busy work schedule during the week, and this was a great option for me), so I did the assignment and fixed some awkward Korean/English expressions as I listened to your lectures there (예습센터).
Personally, I am a bit of perfectionist as well, so I wanted to submit the work that is as "error-free" as possible by editing my own work.

However, if you still consider this (doing my homework & edit it after watching your lecture) as a misconduct, I will just submit my first draft.

Thank you again for your consideration.

Sincerely,

SUNGEUN JO

p.s. It would be helpful for me to know if you grade the homework assignments based on "completion" or "Accuracy"

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Sungeun!

Thank you so much for introducing yourself! I often feel distant from all of my students due to lack of proximity... so it is very nice to get to know you a little better!

To answer your question, no, it does not concern me! What I regard as plagiarism would be more like literally copying & pasting other people's work or just Google Translate/Naver Papago all the way from A to Z. I mean... it's really not that difficult to tell when someone makes an extremely obvious translation error that stems from such misconduct.

Of course, spending an adequate amount of time and effort into your homework is important and I really believe the learning-it-from-doing-it method will benefit you in this course. BUT, I also do not want you to spend too much time on your homework as it's not the "accuracy" that I am concerned. "Completion" is a must, to be clear.

What I would love to see from my students is perhaps reflection (as in 심사숙고, 곰곰히 생각하는 것, 사색, etc.) At any point during the lecture, I would like you to simply pause and think about some of the translations that instructors explain. I personally think that really is the best way to improve your translation skills!

I hope this answers your question and good luck!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs