Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)_New] Using sex-neutral pronouns

Page

Name Yeonwoo Min Date23-05-16 04:49 View990 Comment2

Content

Hi, my name is MIN Yeonwoo and I am taking Business interpretation (ITT LV. 2).
I have a question regarding pronouns that are being used in translation.

Recently, I found some of translators who are usingn neopronouns without implying sex, which is sex-neutral, such as they or them. Korea also have a similar trend with so, which is unifying pronoun as "그". Since this is the translation course, I want to ask about teachers' opinion not using traditional sex-specifying pronouns. (I am not rejecting or denying the usage of sex-specifying pronouns)
Do you think those neo-pronouns are efficient to use in the translation?
Sorry, but I don't know how to imply since this is sensitive question.

Thank you for everything.

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Yeonwoo!

Thank you for such an interesting question!

Indeed I believe it is becoming more and more common with gender-neutral pronouns being used in many official documents, at least in English that is. The tricky part of it is when translating one language cannot necessarily incorporate things as well as the other and how translators should approach with such languages. In my opinion, I do think it is very important to get rid of obvious gender-stereotypical pronoun usages, for instance, “she/her” for all nurses or “he/him” for all plumbers in a broad sense. However, I believe it needs to be approached carefully especially when the linguists believe it may cause confusion or mistranslation. So I guess the bottom line is prioritizing the accuracy of the translation while being aware and actively using gender neutral pronouns. On that note, I do think it has gotten definitely more common nowadays to use “they/them” instead of specifying “he/him” or “she/her” in English but it still feels quite vague in Korean.

Long story short, I do think this is important and all linguists should factor it in but I also would like to reassure you that you will not need to worry about this in this course!

I hope this is clear.

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Yeonwoo Min님의 댓글

Yeonwoo Min 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Thank you for your kind reply. Since I enjoy readings, I could recognize the usage of sex-neutral pronouns in some Korean literatures - which is fortunate, since it helped me to know different world- and I agree with your opinion that it is still vague in Korean writings. Your reply makes me to think deeply about how translation can specify a person withoug using sex specifying pronouns, erasing the stereotypes rampant in our society. Again, I thank you for your kind reply.

Sincerely,
MIN Yeonwoo

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A