Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)_New] ITT - E TO K MODULE 3 H/W

Page

Name JEONGIM PARK Date23-05-29 07:09 View898 Comment1

Content

Dear Mason,

Good day to you!
This is Jeong-Im Park of your ITT class student.

First of all, Thank you so much for your passionate classes.
They were really helpful and I've learned a lot.

Secondly, I apologize that I've submitted my homework so late.
Unfortunately, it's not finished yet.
I am having hard time at work and working overtime from February, so the homework will be uploaded till due date.
The progress of the homework keeps slowing down.
I'm afraid you'll be in a hurry because of my late homework.

Back to the topic, I have a question about Article Module 3-4.
In the 3rd paragraph, I've read following sentence many times but still confused how to translate.

Given the current sales trends and the export restrictions on our products to the U.S. set by our government, - It's confusing what the subject is.
(Given the current sales trends and the export restrictions) on our products to the U.S. set by our government, OR
(Given the current sales trends) and (the export restrictions on our products to the U.S. set by our government,)  

I also have another question.
In Korean, "In this regard" and "In this respect" have the same meaning as "이 점에 대해서는".
Could you please explain what the difference is?

Thank you.

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Jeong-Im!

No worries! The whole idea of a self-paced course is to prioritize other things when needed. You are doing well so keep up the good work!

Let me go straight to answering your questions.

1. Given the current sales trends and the export restrictions on our products to the U.S. set by our government, - It's confusing what the subject is.

(Given the current sales trends and the export restrictions) on our products to the U.S. set by our government, 

OR

(Given the current sales trends) and (the export restrictions on our products to the U.S. set by our government,)  

-> You mentioned that you are conused what the subject of this sentence is, but in fact this really isn’t a sentence. It’s a preceeding phrase so technically speaking this would be closer to finding the objects of the sentence.

In my opinion, I would read it as:

Given (the current sales trends) and (the export restrictions on our products to the U.S set by our government) …

Instead of diving too deep into the grammar portion, I think it will be easier to understand the meaning of the sentence and the paragraph.

One good exercise is to swap the difficult terms with easier or dummy examples.

For the sentence,

“Given (the current sales trends) and (the export restrictions on our products to the U.S set by our government), we have no plan to expand the number of ports of entry for the foreseeable future.”

What if we switched them to:

Given (A) and (B), we have no plan to expand the number of ports of entry for the foreseeable future.

Perhaps this might help making things clearer!

————————————

I also have another question.
In Korean, "In this regard" and "In this respect" have the same meaning as "이 점에 대해서는".
Could you please explain what the difference is?

-> I do not think there is a significant difference between the two expressions. Personally I would say “In this regard” sounds a lot more common to use that “in this respect”.

————————————

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration