Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)_New] Module 4-3

Page

Name HEEYOUNG LEE Date23-07-06 00:54 View808 Comment1

Content

Dear Mason 
This is about #2 of the Module 4-3. 
ᄋ INFORMATION WE RECEIVE (WHEN YOU PROVIDE IT, VISIT WHITEHOUSE.GOV, RECEIVE EMAIL UPDATES, OR INTERACT WITH OFFICIAL WHITE HOUSE PRESENCES ON THIRD-PARTY SITES)

1)You interpreted “WHEN YOU PROVIDE IT” as “언제 당신이 이런 정보를 제공하는지”.
Does “이런 정보” indicate the following phrases (VISIT WHITEHOUSE.GOV, RECEIVE EMAIL UPDATES, OR INTERACT WITH OFFICIAL WHITE HOUSE PRESENCES ON THIRD-PARTY SITES)? 
I translated “WHEN YOU PROVIDE IT” as 당신이 정보를 제공한 경우. Is it wrong to say that? 

You also started your translation/interpretation of the rest of the sentences/phrases with “언제.” such as "언제 방문하는지, 언제 업데이트를 받는지".  “WHEN YOU” is considered omitted in sentences?  
I don't know why but these simple phrases are confusing to me. If you don't mind, could you please reword your Korean translation and provide some additional explanations?   

2)You also omitted interpreting the sentence (INTERACT WITH OFFICIAL WHITE HOUSE PRESENCES ON THIRD-PARTY SITES).
I'd like to know how you interpret/translate this sentence, especially the word 'interact'. 

I hope my questions are clear to you and sorry to bother you with such a simple context. 
Thank you! 

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Heeyoung!

Here are my answers to your questions!

ᄋ INFORMATION WE RECEIVE (WHEN YOU PROVIDE IT, VISIT WHITEHOUSE.GOV, RECEIVE EMAIL UPDATES, OR INTERACT WITH OFFICIAL WHITE HOUSE PRESENCES ON THIRD-PARTY SITES)

1)You interpreted “WHEN YOU PROVIDE IT” as “언제 당신이 이런 정보를 제공하는지”.
Does “이런 정보” indicate the following phrases (VISIT WHITEHOUSE.GOV, RECEIVE EMAIL UPDATES, OR INTERACT WITH OFFICIAL WHITE HOUSE PRESENCES ON THIRD-PARTY SITES)?
I translated “WHEN YOU PROVIDE IT” as 당신이 정보를 제공한 경우. Is it wrong to say that?

You also started your translation/interpretation of the rest of the sentences/phrases with “언제.” such as "언제 방문하는지, 언제 업데이트를 받는지".  “WHEN YOU” is considered omitted in sentences? 
I don't know why but these simple phrases are confusing to me. If you don't mind, could you please reword your Korean translation and provide some additional explanations? 

-> An excellent point! I just revisited this and gave it a good thought. It took me awhile to understand what you were saying but I believe I am understanding it! So I believe it all comes down to how you read the phrases and I believe the correct way should be this:

(THIS PRIVACY POLICY ... PROVIDES INFORMATION ON)
(개인정보 보호 정책은 다음과 같은 사항들에 대한 정보를 제공한다.)

A. information we receive (우리[백악관이]가 받는 다음과 같은 정보)

1. when you provide the information (당신이 [백악관에게] 정보를 제공했을 때)
2. when you visit the WHITEHOUSE.GOV (당신이 [백악관의] 웹사이트를 방문했을 때)
3. when you receive email updates (당신이 [백악관으로부터] 이메일로 업데이트 내용을 받았을 때)

Now, combining the 'A' and the numbers you get:

A.1: 당신이 백악관에 정보를 제공했을 때 우리가 받게 되는 정보
A.2: 당신이 백악관의 웹사이트를 방문했을 때 우리가 받게 되는 정보
A.3: 당신이 백악관으로부터 이메일로 업데이트 내용을 받았을 때 우리가 받게 되는 정보

So, I definitely agree saying "언제" actually doesn't sound right when we carefully think about the context of the information that Whitehouse is receiving. Although the meaning of it is technically "if" it is done or not; however, I think saying "~한 경우" closely follows "if" phrase, more than "when" which feels closer to "~을 했을 때".

2)You also omitted interpreting the sentence (INTERACT WITH OFFICIAL WHITE HOUSE PRESENCES ON THIRD-PARTY SITES).
I'd like to know how you interpret/translate this sentence, especially the word 'interact'.

-> There might have been an error on our end as "(INTERACT WITH OFFICIAL WHITE HOUSE PRESENCES ON THIRD-PARTY SITES)" actually should have not been included in the course work. But to answer your question with a quick glance, interpreting "interact" as "소통하다/교류하다" would be the term I choose.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean

Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and