Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Module 4 Q1,5

Page

Name Seryung Kim Date18-05-18 23:09 View3,354 Comment1

Content

Hi, I always thank you for your teaching.
But I have 2 questions about Module 4.

First, does pre-reading activities include "having students create questions about the topic before reading it"?
or just include "teacher create questions and give them to students and ask students  to answer them before reading it"?
or include both ?
Q.1 - 4) Having students create a number of questions that they would like to ask after being given the topic of the reading activity.
i wonder if it is right.

Second,  mudule 4 Q5. Giving students a table or diagram to fill in is just as good as giving them guiding questions
-> in this question, what is the 'guiding questions exactly? I think you didn't mention about 'guiding questions' in module 4.
so I'm confused. Is it means just 'giving questions as post-reading activities?
If not, can you give me some examples of 'guiding questions?'

Thank you.

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi SerYung Kim,

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your questions.  We just had a 3 day long holiday weekend here in Canada, and I was busy with family.  Anyhow, let's take a look at your questions.

In regards to your first question, I would say "yes".  'Pre-reading' activities are any kind of activity that you can give to students to do before they read to hopefully increase their motivation in what they are about to read.  So, you could either give them some questions to answer (which is not really such a great 'pre-reading' activity), or you could ask them to create questions about what they're going to read AFTER at least providing them with the topic of the text, or even better, a picture from the text.  Other than those 2 options, you could do a number of different things.

In regards to your question about module 4 question 5, giving students a task to fill in while reading (or listening for listening activities) is a good idea, just as good as 'guiding questions'.  'Guiding questions' are questions that we provide to students before they read or listen.  While students read or listen, they try to answer the 'guiding questions'.  Basically, these questions will keep the students focused on the text as they try to answer the questions.

Well, I hope that helps, if not, just post again!

Have a nice day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?