Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Module 10 #

Page

Name SO HEE YU Date18-08-18 16:10 View3,556 Comment4

Content

Hello, Allan
I always appreciate your comments of my questions!

My new question is like the following ;
Q. All of the following are features of a listening comprehension test, except:
PART 1: Multiple Choice - Please circle the correct answer
1) Questions should be simple and less numerous.
2) Students should be able to refer back to the text.
3) The text should be short enough for retention.
4) It should avoid giving too much to write.
--> Actually, I repeat your video again and again.. (lesson 19~20) , But I couldn't look for your mention of this.
Could you explain it more?

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi So Hee Yu,

Well, in regards to your question, the correct answer should be option 4 (it should avoid giving too much write).  The reason why is because when we make a listening, or reading, comprehension test (which is a receptive skills test), we really want students to focus on listening.  We do not want to test their writing skills in this case, and therefore, we should avoid giving them too many questions which get them to write.  Therefore, option 4 makes the most sense in this case.

Does that make sense?  If not, please post again and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible!

Have a good day!

SO HEE YU님의 댓글

SO HEE YU 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

hello, thanks for your comment
by the way, this question is for choosing thing which is not a feature of a listening comprehension test,isn’t it?
You said that we should avoid giving too much to write when we test listening skill. It means 4) is the feature of listening test, doesn’t it?

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi again So Hee Yu,

It seems I have made a huge mistake.  You're right, option four is a feature of a listening test.  This is embarrassing, but I myself must have misread the question.  Yes, we should make sure to avoid giving students too much to write when having them do a listening comprehension test.

Anyhow, the correct answer should be option 2 - students should be able to refer back to the text.  Option 2 would imply that students would be able to look back at, and read, the text.  Of course because this is a listening comprehension test this is not possible.  If it were a reading comprehension test it would be possible.  So, option 2 is the best choice, because it does not make logical sense.

Wow, I am so embarrassed.  Good thing you asked me again.  Anyhow, I hope that makes sense, and please post again if you're still confused.

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors