Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Module 1 (Korean to English) - Lesson 4: news articles

Page

Name Eun Woo Kim Date24-03-14 06:46 View333 Comment2

Content

Hello, Mason.

I'm Eunwoo Kim taking Business Interpretation course at the moment.

I have a question about Lesson 4 sentences.
In the first sentence: 2년 동안 지구 두 바퀴에 거리를 돌아다닌 사람들이 있습니다.
The interpretation was "There was a group of people who have been around the world twice in two years."
But I think the korean sentence actually means "2년동안 거리를 돌아다닌 사람들이 있습니다. 그 거리(길이)는 지구 두 바퀴의 거리(길이)정도 될겁니다."
I just wondering the English sentence includes the entire korean meanings or not.
(for me, the English sentence is translated "2년동안 세계를 두번 돌아다닌 사람들이 있습니다." so... I'm confused..)

Thank you for your help in advance :)

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Eunwoo!

First off, my sincere apologies for the delayed response. I was on vacation and was not able to perform my daily tasks at GC as usual. I apologize for any inconvenience that it might have caused!

Here is my thought on your question.

I understand and completely agree on ambiguity of the interpretation that you mentioned! To deliver the correct meaning, indeed we could have said something like:

"There was a group of people who have travelled the equivalent of two times the Earth’s circumference in two years.”

But as you can see instantly that this sentence sounds awfully specific in English. To me, this literal translation does not have the same nuance as the original sentence.

I believe the original sentence in Korean is really focusing on “people who walked a lot in just two years.” Therefore, the interpreteration you are questioning is essentially trying to deliver a smooth meaning-for-meaning interpretation of the sentence, rather than an exact word-for-word interpretation.

Once again, I do agree that the interpretation here is altering the meaning, but my point is that we should consider whether/how much important such specific detail matters in the context.

I hope this makes sense!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Eun Woo Kim님의 댓글

Eun Woo Kim 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Thank you for your response and hope you had a great vacation!  I'm getting a feel for the interpretation, struggling sometimes o.O  I just thought what if someone think that the group actually walked around the world (I mean, many countries) when someone read the English sentence above..lol.. Meaning-to-meaning, I will keep in mind it!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors