Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] questions of Final exam

Page

Name EUNJI LEE Date18-12-06 04:35 View3,560 Comment6

Content

Hello , Teacher Allan!
I have some question about final exam.
2. “What is the dog in the middle of the picture doing?” is a good example of a question that gets students to interpret something or use their imaginations.
why is that the answer "False"?
Isn't it the same idea with the text book Teacher 3?? (dog instead of man)
if it is not, what would be the difference with T2 and T3? is it just because of animals and human??? :-0 ??
1. Eliciting from pictures(refer to textbook)
○ Picture A
T1. Look at the men in the picture. Who are they? What are they doing?
      Look in the background. What do you see?
      Great. Now they’re going back home so we can say?
T2. What animals can you see in the picture?
T3. (Identify him first) look at the man in the middle of the picture. What is he doing?
T4. What time of day is it? How do you know? Is it the start of the day?
T5. How do you know it is the end of the day? Where is the sun? Is the sun rising?
T6. What are they doing?

will be appreciate your answer! :)
thank you!

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi EunJi Lee,

Good question, let's take a look at it!

There is actually a big difference between the question on the test and the questions concerning eliciting in the text.  Remember that the questions that you referred to from the text were designed to elicit vocabulary/phrases from students; they were not designed to get students to use their imagination. 

Meanwhile, the reason why the question, "What is the dog in the middle of the picture doing?" is not a 'question that gets students to use their imagination or interpret something" is because that while the question may be used to elicit vocabulary, it is not a question that gets students to use their imagination.  Just think about it.  If we can see what the dog is doing, then there is clearly just a few ways to describe it.  "Questions that get students to use their imagination" have no correct answer, and can be answered in so many different ways.  Therefore, because we can see what the dog is doing, it is not a 'question that gets students to use their imagination"; rather, it is probably a question used to try to elicit vocabulary.  If we asked, "what is the dog thinking" then this would be an example of a "question that gets students to use their imagination" because there is no one single correct answer; rather, the dog could be thinking about anything so the possibilities are endless basically.

Well, I hope that makes sense.  If not, please post again and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible. 

Have a wonderful day!

EUNJI LEE님의 댓글

EUNJI LEE 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Hello Teacher Allan! Thank you for your answer!
I got what you meant, but while I was reading your answer, I thought of another questions. :)

So, if you say "Questions that get students to use their imagination", isn't it similar to "Real class room questions : not from the text book, beyond the text (module 5 ; asking questions)? I think 'Real class room questions' also that the students need to use their imagination or their own experience, or their own knowledge and common sense, and it also "elicits" students' answer from their own creative thinking or at least not just copying of the structure/vocabulary they learnt.  That would be the questions and answer beyond the textbook and they need to think and creative much more to answer that questions..

so then, what would be the difference between "Real class room questions" and "Questions that get students to use their imagination"?
or how can we 'distinguish(not sure this is the proper words to use here though :p)' these relations of three; eliciting, real class room questions and questions that get students to use their imagination?

waiting for your answer again ! : )

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Hi again Eun Ji Lee,

Another good question!  Let's take a look!

So the difference between 'real classroom questions' and 'imagination questions' is about the way students answer them and about the activity they involve.  'Real classroom questions" are questions we ask concerning real situations that may occur in class from time to time (for example when a student is sick, or someone is absent, or when it is too hot, etc).  These are just regular questions and are NOT related to any activity.  On the other hand, "imagination questions" are part of an activity.  These questions get students to use their imagination and/or interpret something about a picture.  The difference is also about the answer.  When we ask a 'real classroom questions' (for example, "what did you think of last night's homework) there are a few possible answers, but not many.  On the other hand, 'imagination questions' actually don't really have an answer.  If we ask students "what do you think the man was doing before he came here?" for example, students could really say anything they can think of (thus they're "questions that get students to use their imaginations). 

Well, I hope that makes sense.  If not, just post again!

Have a wonderful day!

EUNJI LEE님의 댓글

thank you , teacher Allan!
so.. if I understand in a right way, could it be said like: real classroom questions are based on the conditions, situations, and 'imagination questions' are based on the pictures, activities, and imagination itself?  kindly correct me again!

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Hi again EunJi Lee,

Yes, you're basically correct.  "Real classroom questions" are based on classroom situations or conditions.  Meanwhile 'imagination questions' are usually based on a picture, activity, or even a story.

Well, I hope that helps and makes things clearer.  If not, just ask again!

Have a wonderful day!

EUNJI LEE님의 댓글

thank you teacher Allan for the comment again! :)
this is well-enough confirmation and comment for my understanding!

thank you and have a great day too!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?