Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Module 1, Q9,Q10.

Page

Name SuYeon Kim Date18-12-09 20:59 View3,315 Comment1

Content

Hello. how are you Allan?
Module 1 exam was my first on line test in my life.
I was embarrassed because of the question and was not able to understand and write the correct answer.
Eventhough I listened your lecture very hard.
I have been studying English almost several months so I`m not good at grammar and everything.
Please bear with me.
I need your help and explain. What is the correct answer...
I hope you have a great day.
From. your student suyeon,Kim

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Su Yeon Kim,

No problem, I completely understand. 

Now, when it comes to Q9 and Q10, both of them are written questions.  When you answer written questions, just write as much as you can.  I usually like it when students write a minimum of 2 sentences, but I like it even more when students write more than 2 sentences.  Also remember that because they're written questions, there are multiple correct ways to answer the questions.

Let's take a closer look at each of those questions.  So Q9 was, "[w]hat do you think about translating vocabulary?  How often should we translate?".  I'll give you an example answer:  "I think that translating vocabulary too often is not a good idea.  English class is not a translation, and if we use our native language too often, students will get lazy, and it does not create an English speaking environment.  So, I think that it is okay to translate, but very rarely, and only when we have to explain a difficult, and not very useful, word".  Q10 was, "[w]hat are some things that we, as teachers, can do to better control our students when conducting pair or group work activities?".  Here's an example answer, "there are a number of things we can do to better control our students when doing a pair or group work activity.  We can: provide clear examples, provide clear instructions, give students a time limit, divide students in pairs or groups ourselves, tell students that they will have to present after they're finished, and lastly, walk around the room, monitor students, and punish them if necessary".  Both of these example answers are one way to answer these questions, but highlight the key points of the answer. 

Remember, these are written questions, just write as much as you can.  Also, when I mark these answers I am not very concerned about your use of grammar.  If you make a lot of mistakes and I can't understand your answer, you will lose marks, but this does not happen too often.  Just try to write as best as you can.  Also remember that because they're written questions they often ask you to share your opinion.  Even if you are not sure of your answer, just try your best to share your opinion and write as much as you can.

Overall, just try your best, and remember to take notes during the lecture.  You can do it!  Good luck!

Hope that helps and have a wonderful day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors