Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Questions regarding Meaningful Practices.

Page

Name Yoon Hwa Kang Date19-03-03 22:56 View2,848 Comment1

Content

During the lecture on Lesson 7, you mention that the substitution exercise in 2b is a meaningful practice, because requires students to understand before they answer. I see that it requires the student's knowledge to answer the question, but I'm having difficulty in seeing how it is meaningful in helping understanding the presented structure.

To elaborate, the question "You want to see a film" tests the students knowledge on the word 'film' and its relationship to 'cinema' rather than the structure, "Is there a ... near here?"
The same follows for single-word prompt exercise 3b: it tests the student's understanding on the single-word prompts to answer "why?", rather than the application of the structure, "I'm going to ...". 

Am I misunderstanding the concept of 'Meaningful Practice' here? It seems that the relationship between meaningful practices and the practice of the structure is rather weak. The title of the lesson is 'practicing structures' and mechanical practice seems to focus on getting the students used to the structure, so I am assuming that meaningful practice should focus on testing the student's understanding of the presented structure rather than the words given by the instructor.

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi again Yoon Hwa Kang,

Good question.  Now, to answer your question, "..., so I am assuming..." I would say yes.  Those practice activities are focusing on not only the structure presented, but also some vocabulary.  We should keep in mind that while these meaningful forms of practice are good, they were preceded by some form of mechanical practice that helped students to familiarize themselves with using the structure.  We should also keep in mind that the structure itself, and its meaning, were explained to students prior to doing these practice activities, and that those practice activities you mentioned are situational. 

Does that make sense?  If not, please post again, and I will try to explain better.  Oh, and have a nice day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors