Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Module 4 quiz

Page

Name Eunbyeol Go Date19-07-28 08:03 View3,092 Comment2

Content

Hello teacher Allan, I am Bonnie who is taking your online TESOL class.
First, hope you are well and thanks a lot for great classes. I am really enjoying taking your lessons.
I am writing this posting for asking about the answer in Module 4 quiz.
T/F question No.8 in that quiz, the answer for 'You can make any form of practice more meaningful by adding “how?”.' is False.
Of course we learned that we need to ask "Why", but for getting detailed answer from students and engaging them in meaningful practice, I think "How" can work as well. I didn't think 'Why' is the only answer for it cause I thought it is okay if we can make them think and come up with more detailed answers. So, it would be really appreciated if you explain me why the answer is False.

Thanks again and have a lovely day!

Best,
Bonnie

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Bonnie,

Sorry that it has taken so long for me to respond to you!  I had a very busy weekend and Monday! 

Anyhow, let's take a look at your question.  So, question 8 on the module 4 quiz was, "[y]ou can make any form of practice more meaningful by adding “how?”".  You make a really good point, and in some circumstances, adding "how" would work to make something more meaningful.  However, it would not always work, it depends on the answer.  For example, if we ask a student, "do you like ice cream?" and a students responds by saying, "yes I do", and then we ask "how?", it does not really make any sense.  If we asked them "why?" it does.  Honestly, it depends on the structure that is being practiced.  In some cases "how" would work, but in more cases "why" would work.  However, it should be noted that asking "why" does not always work as well.

Honestly, this question should be changed.  Unfortunately, while I am familiar with the written questions, I often don't know what the t/f and MC questions are because they are marked by an automatic system.  Thank you for pointing this out.  I will get it changed, and I will add an extra mark to your final assignment (but please just remind me - please remind me on the bottom of your final assignment). 

Anyhow, I hope that makes sense and helps a bit.  Again, sorry about the late response, and have a great day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors