Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Questions regarding quizzes and exam

Page

Name Eunbyeol Go Date19-08-31 22:00 View7,842 Comment2

Content

Hello teacher Allen, this is Bonnie from your TESOL class.
Hope you are well and below are the questions regarding each modules' quizzes and final exam. It would be appreciated if you check and get back to me with the explanation about those.

Module 6
Q5: Oral prep requires specific training and specially prepared material and/or texts.
--> For doing an oral prep, students must know the word in advance, so I guess that means they need to get a specific training about those words.
And we should prepare material (at least just texts) of specific words that we should write on the board so that we can ask questions regarding those words. Doesn’t that mean Oral prep requires preparing material or texts?

Q8. Writing activities must be marked during a teacher’s free time
--> Teacher’s free time can be a free time during the class but it can be the meaning of after finishing class I guess. That’s why I marked as True but it says false is the correct answer. I wonder the exact reason why it has to be False. I think the question has to be less vague.

Module 7
These two below (Q2 / Q3) are multiple choice questions and there’s no way for me to check the answer options, so I couldn’t write down the list of answers I need to ask. But wonder why my answers are wrong.

Q2. Questions that get students to predict are great for all of the reasons except:
Correct answer was 1 / My answer was 2

Q3. The following methods are all effective ways of correcting students in class except:
Correct answer was 2 / My answer was 3

Q7. Asking questions while reading a text to students is a good way to help students predict what will happen next in the text.
--> I guess I learned from the lecture that there are 3 ways for asking questions.
First, ‘Guiding questions’ will be asked ‘Before’ reading,
Second, ‘Questions to predict’ will be asked ‘While’ reading
Third, ‘Questions to check for understanding’ will be asked ‘After’ reading.
So I marked this as True cause if we ask certain questions to students while reading, the can predict what will happen next in the context. I wonder why the answer is False.

FINAL EXAM
Q2. While reading a text to younger students, we may sometimes pause, and ask them a question. These are referred to as 'questions that get students to predict' and they help students to accurately predict what will happen next.
--> I wonder why the answer is False because in lesson 14 learning about questions, We learned that ‘Questions to predict’ can be used “While” Reading and we also did activity to mark places in the story where we could stop and ask students to predict what will happen next.

Q9 : Wonder why the answer is false. Is it because of the intonation? I know you talked about there are a lot of rules of pronunciation(spell and sounds) so it is time consuming to teach or correct all of the pronunciation but isn’t it important for certain high level of students to learn and tested about the intonation as well?

Thanks for checking all above in advance.

Best,
Bonnie

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hey Bonnie,

Wow, that's a lot of questions!  Well, let's take a look at them:

Module 6 Q 5 - I would have to disagree and say that this is false.  Anyone can elicit a certain word as long as their English is at an advanced level or fluent.  You might need to prepare ahead of time, but eliciting vocabulary does not really require any specific training. 

Q 8 - I agree with you, the question is a bit vague.  It should have been: "when a teacher has free time in class".  This question needs to be changed.  Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Module 7 Q 2 - Option 1 is the correct answer because it is "[a]ccurately get students to predict what will happen next".  This is correct, because questions that get students to predict do not actually help students to accurately predict what will happen next.  If I said, "and then I went... where did I go?..."  students won't be able to accurately predict.  You chose option 2, which was, "[h]elp students focus on important vocabulary".  Questions that get students to predict do not focus on important vocabulary, rather they are just meant to make the story more interesting.

Q 3 - Skipping shy or bad students is alright, as long as we give them a second chance.  Option 3 is a good choice, and therefore the wrong answer.  Option 2 makes sense as the correct answer, because it is wrong.  We should not skip weak students.  Remember, the question said "all of the following are good... except:". 

Q 7 - This question is related to Q 2.  Remember, while they're called "questions that get students to predict", they do not actually help students to predict what will actually happen next.  They are simply meant to make the text more interesting, and to involve the students.  That is why the answer is false.

Final Test Q 2 - This is related to the previous 2 questions in module 7. 

Q 9 - Yes, it is because "intonation" was included.  You're not wrong; intonation, especially at higher levels is important.  However, that being said, it was not included in the original lesson, so that's why the answer is false.

Well, I hope that helps.  Unfortunately, I wrote these answer pretty quickly, so if you still have any other questions, or are still confused, please respond.  Other than that, I agree with you about module 6 Q 8; this question needs to be modified.  Seeing as that is the case, thank you for pointing it out (I only mark the written questions).  I will award you with 1 extra mark on your final assignment and change the question as soon as possible. 

Have a wonderful day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?