Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Questions on Module 4

Page

Name Daju Choi Date19-11-16 01:00 View2,894 Comment2

Content

Hi Allen!

I'm Daju Choi taking your TESOL course at the moment.
Thanks for your phone call earlier today.
This course has been very helpful by far!

I have 2 questions about the Quiz of Module 4.

Q.5  According to the automatic result, the correct answer is 1) TRUE.
But in video 5, "11:29" , you said "Charts and graphs can be used for post-reading activities". And on "25:03",  it was repeated again.

When the question 5 is "Having students fill in a chart, graph, or table "while" doing a reading activity is a great way to help students stay focused and also a great way of helping them prepare good notes for later review." ,
I think the correct question should be  "while(x)->after(o) doing a reading activity."

For that reason, I guess the correct answer should be 2)False.

Q.8 According to the automatic result, the correct answer is 2) False.  But I think the correct answer is 1)True.
In video 3 on "09:12", you said " If you ever wanna make something more meaningful, just ask them WHY or other follow up question afterwards. " The reason why I chose TRUE as answer is that not only WHY, HOW can also make forms more meaningful when it is added. For example, if the form of practice is "Where are you going?", students can answer "I'm going to the station" and then teacher can probably ask "How?" to make the form of practive more meaningful.

In my opinoin, this question was to narrow to answer. Since I know the input answer now, I can understand your purpose of the question. But I think it'd be more reasonable if there were some flexiblity on score standard.

I'm looking forward to hear your explanation on this message!

Thank you :)

Daju Choi

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Daju,

It was a pleasure speaking to you earlier!  Anyhow, let's take a look at those questions:

In regards to your first question about module 4, question 5, unfortunately the answer is "true".  However, I completely understand the logic of your answer, and why you wrote 'false'.  While I did say it is good to use afterwards, we did do an activity where students would read some information about different parts of the body, and then fill in a table, which is a good example of what this question is talking about.  Still, you are right.  The problem with this question is the way that it is worded.  I will have to change the wording of this question as soon as I can.  In the meantime, thank you for bringing this question to my attention.  What I can do, in this situation, is award you with an additional mark (1 mark) on your final assignment for pointing this out.

In regards to your second question about module 4, question 8, this is a good comment, but unfortunately the answer is still 'false'.  The reason why is because not ALL practice activities can be made more meaningful by adding 'how'.  It depends on the practice activity, and the context of the question.  If, for example, we ask students to answer questions about their likes and dislikes by saying, "I like/dislike _____________" after we ask "do you like _____________?" this is not a meaningful form of practice.  Now, in order to make it meaningful, we could ask "why" as a follow up question, and then it becomes meaningful.  However, if we asked "how"?  It does not really make sense.  So, while "how" or other "wh-' questions sometimes work, it depends on the practice activity, and the context of the activity/questions.  Does that make sense?

Anyhow, sorry about the long response, but it was necessary!  I hope it helps, but if not, please repost and I will try to answer as quickly as possible (although it is the weekend here, so I might not answer as quickly as I can!). 

Oh, and have a wonderful weekend!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?