Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Questions related to mid-term

Page

Name Hyein Lee Date19-12-04 20:35 View2,532 Comment3

Content

Here are what I was marked wrong, which I don't understand why.

Q2. One of the biggest disadvantage is noise. => What I learned from the class was, noise is one of the major problem. So I chose true, but it was marked wrong answer. Could you explain why?

Q14. I thought the term "free practice activity" as practice activity, because from the class "free substitution" is one of practice activity. Also teacher mentioned what we can do in production stage, we can use the new words or structures "in a free way". Could you please check my answer again? and If I got it wrong, please explain.

Q15.
What I have in my note from the class says "Give students a summary of the text with gaps then have students fill in the gaps and check after reading". So I thought it's after-reading activity. Is this pre-reading activity?

Quiz on Module 4.
8 You can make any form of practice more meaningful by adding “how?”.
From the class I learned that Meaningful practice required students to think or understand in order to practice. So I think 'by adding how' can help students think or understand. Could you explain why I got wrong on this question?

Thank you very much:)

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Hyein Lee,

Let's take a look at those questions one by one:

In regards to question 2, unfortunately the answer is 'false'.  If you re-watch the video were I discuss this, I start off by saying that noise can be a problem, but then mention it isn't a big problem and we should be happy as long as our students are speaking English, because this is 'good noise'.  Noise is not one of the biggest problems; rather, students making more mistakes or the class being difficult to control are both big problems.

In regards to question 14, the answer should be presentation, production, and then reading.  A free practice activity where students are working independently is not something we do in a practice stage.  We do these forms of practice in a production stage.

In regards to question 15, giving students a summary of a text with gaps and having them fill it in IS a pre-reading activity.  Just think about the sentence: "Give students a summary of the text with gaps then have students fill in the gaps and check AFTER reading".  You give them the summary of the text with gaps first, have them guess what goes in the blanks, then have them read, and check AFTER reading. 

In regards to the module 4 quiz question about making any form of practice meaningful by adding "how", the reason why this is false is because not ALL practice activities can be made more meaningful by adding 'how'.  It depends on the practice activity, and the context of the question.  If, for example, we ask students to answer questions about their likes and dislikes by saying, "I like/dislike _____________" after we ask "do you like _____________?" this is not a meaningful form of practice.  Now, in order to make it meaningful, we could ask "why" as a follow up question, and then it becomes meaningful.  However, if we asked "how"?  It does not really make sense.  So, while "how" or other "wh-' questions sometimes work, it depends on the practice activity, and the context of the activity/questions.  Does that make sense? 

Anyhow, all of these questions are quite tricky.  If you still don't understand, please post again, and I will try to get back to you asap! 

Have a wonderful day!

Hyein Lee님의 댓글

Hyein Lee 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, Allan teacher! Now I understand, still those were really tricky.
About my 4th questions, so you mean "how" can be used for making meaningful question depend on the situation but "WHY?" can be always used to make it meaningful?

Again, I really appreciate your comment.

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi again Hyein Lee,

Good question, but again, it just depends on the structure.  In general, asking "why" would work, but not all the time (again, it depends).  If the structure were something like, "subject + have + PP ~", so for example, "I have eaten frog legs", asking "why?" afterwards does not really work.  In this case it would be better to ask other 'wh- questions, such as "when did you eat frog legs?" or "how did they taste", etc.  Basically, it just depends on the structure.

I hope that helps and have a wonderful weekend!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors