Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] quiz4

Page

Name Ahhyeon choi Date19-12-09 16:42 View2,590 Comment1

Content

Hello!
I took a quiz4 yesterday but I had a problem.
I always listen your lessons sincerely and note everything, but I didn't heard about controlled and free practice. I was so embarassed and because of time limit, I wrote an answer by anology. I thought that I screwed up the quiz, but fortunately I had a not bad score. Anyway, could you explain controlled and free practice, please?

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Ahhyeon,

Yeah, your answer was alright. 

Anyhow, the difference between free practice and controlled practice depends on the amount of interaction the teacher is doing with their students.  If for example, you are doing a practice activity like picture prompts, single word prompts, substitution, or repetition, then you, as the teacher, have to interact with your students.  The students are not working independently, because you are working with them.

On the other hand, any form of practice, such as free substitution, where you let them work independently, is a free form of practice.  Students have to work by themselves, either individually, in pairs, or in groups. 

Another thing to note is that free forms of practice and controlled forms of practice are not related to mechanical and meaningful forms of practice.  Rather, they are just related to how much interaction the teacher needs to do with their students.  If the teacher needs to interact with their students, it is controlled.  If the teacher can let her students work independently, it is a free form of practice. 

Well, I hope that makes sense, but if not please post again and have a wonderful day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors