Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Regarding Module 5 : Stages of a Lesson Plan

Page

Name Jung Shin Date20-01-06 08:50 View2,558 Comment2

Content

Hello Allan!

I am Jung Shin. I newly joined your class last week and I really love the course.
All the lectures are very fun and instructive. Thank you for such a great class!

Today I was studying module 5 and had some questions regarding the stages of a lesson plan.
The 9 stages you explained where Introduction, Presentation, Practice, Production, Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing, and Reviewing.
Here are the questions :
  (1) "Practice" stage will include practice activities like repetition, substitution, single word prompt, picture prompts, and 'free substitution'.
        Isn't 'free substitution' activity the same as what we have students do at the "Production" stage?
        (as "Production" stage is when we let the students use the newly learned language in a free way)

(2) It seems like most activities we do at "Practice" and "Production" stage will be using one of the 4 skills (Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing).
      For instance, we can do single word prompt by giving a worksheet with words and having students write sentences using the word & structure.
      In such case, does it go under "Practice" stage or "Writing" stage?
      Also, what if we ask students to make sentences using structure we just learned and have them present verbally.
      Does it go under "Practice (free substitution)" stage or "Production" stage or "Speaking" stage?

I am sorry to bother you with the questions, but your answers will help me greatly in understanding the material.
Hope you have a wonderful day, and look forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,
Jung

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Jung Shin,

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the course so far!  Anyhow, let's take a look at your questions:

1.)  Yes, you are correct, and this should have been better explained in the video.  "Free substitution" can be a production stage activity if you allow them to work by themselves to create their own sentences.  However, depending on how much interaction you are going to have with your students, it may also be a practice activity.  Basically, if you give them time to work independently, it should be in a production stage, if not, in a practice stage.  Does that make sense?

2.)  Good question.  You will have a better idea about this after going over all of the skill-based activities.  Basically if you follow what we do for a skill-based activity, then it should be in a separate stage.  In addition to that, if you make students produce their own sentences and then present them orally, this should be in a production stage.  If you have students write a paragraph, give them a model text, etc, it should be in a writing stage.  Basically, you will understand better after covering the lessons that go over reading, writing, speaking, and listening activities. 

Well, I hope that helps, and if not, please post again!  Oh, and never worry about asking questions, it is part of my job to answer them! 

Have a wonderful day!

Jung Shin님의 댓글

Jung Shin 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Thank you, Allan!
I think I understand now.
As you said, I will continue studying the rest of the skills and ask you again if I still have any uncertainty.
Thank you!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?