Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Questions regarding Lesson 13, 19, and 20

Page

Name Jung Shin Date20-01-19 07:08 View3,218 Comment3

Content

Hello Allan,
it's me, Jung Shin. :)

First of all, I'd like to thank you one more time for such a great class. I just finished watching the last lesson.
All 20 lessons were great and taught me a lot.
I do not know when I would start a career in teaching English, but I am sure the knowledge you taught me will help me greatly.
Thank you.

Going through the latter part of the course, I had some questions regarding activities in Lesson 13, 19, and 20.
I'm afraid the questions are really long.. Hope these questions wouldn't bored you. The questions are as below.

1. (Regarding lesson 13) Activity 4 in out textbook was about correcting written work.
    We first looked at a paragraph corrected by a teacher, and then was asked to correct the same paragraph in a clearer and less discouraging way.
    Through this activity, I learned the better correction method, but couldn't understand why some of the corrected sentences must be corrected.
    Here are the sentences I thought were okay and thus shouldn't be corrected.
    (1) If I lose the ability of hearing, I also can't speak. → If I lose the ability to hear, I can't speak either.
          - Why do we change from 'of hearing' to 'to hear' and  'also can't speak' to 'can't speak either'?
    (2) To lose hearing means to lose two important functions of human. → To lose one's hearing means losing two important human faculties functions.
          - Why do we change from 'to lose' to 'losing'?
    (3) Suppose that they ride a bike in the busy street. → Suppose that they are riding a bike in a busy street.
          - Why do we change from 'ride' to 'are riding'?
  I know the grammar was not the main focus of the activity, but every time I review though the exercise, I keep questioning.
  It would be great if you could teach me why the sentences should be corrected.

2. (Regarding lesson 19) Activity 1 is about the 4 languages and 4 skills that can be tested during classroom tests.
    (4 languages were grammar, vocabulary, spelling, pronunciation ; 4 skills were listening, reading, speaking, writing)
    During the activity, you mentioned that listening tests involve vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation.
    I cannot understand how a teacher can test a student's ability of grammar and pronunciation in a listening activity.
    The teacher will know the student's vocabulary level, seeing  if he/she understood the meaning of the text.
    But would the teacher be able to see the student's grammar and pronunciation skills?

Further, you also mentioned that reading tests involve vocabulary, grammar, and spelling.
    I do not understand how we can test our student's grammar and spelling ability in a reading test. Could you help me understand?

3.  (Regarding lesson 20) In activity 1, we were asked to identify the stage that the given activity is most suitable for.
      For instance, we answered that 'repetition drills' is a suitable activity for the 'practice' stage.
      During this activity, you told us that 'guessing games' is a activity suitable for 'production' stage.
      I am confused because we've learned in lesson 16 (Communicative Activities) that guessing game is a speaking activity.
      Is it 'production' or 'speaking' stage?

Also, I am not sure about some of the activities we didn't cover in class.
    - 'Correcting each other's written work' : Is it a 'writing' stage? Why?
    - 'Free discussion of a topic' : Is it a 'speaking' stage or a 'introduction' stage?
    - 'Oral practice in pairs' : Is it 'speaking' stage? Can't it also be 'practice' stage?

I am asking a lot of questions at once.  I really hope you wouldn't be get too tired answering them.

I may come back with more questions.
But just in case I don't..
Allan, thank you again for such a great course. I wish you the best.

Best Regards,
Jung Shin.

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Jung Shin,

I will do my best to answer your questions!  Let's take a look:

1.  Lesson 13 - (1) "If I lose the ability of hearing" sounds incredibly awkward and is wrong because when we use 'ability' the preposition we use is 'to'.  We can use the preposition of but it is used in a different way, to compare someone's skills to another, such as, "he has soccer ability of Messi". 

(2) The original sentence is wrong because it needs a subject.  Actually, changing it from "to lose" to "losing" was not necessary; rather, I think it was just a stylistic choice as both options are correct.

(3) Suppose that they ride a bike in the busy street. → Suppose that they are riding a bike in a busy street.  Actually, the correct answer should be, "suppose that they are riding a bike on a busy street".  The difference between the two sentences is subtle.  The first one is imagining that this is possible, and could happen in the future.  The sentence is not wrong, it just depends on the context.  The second sentence is asking the person to imagine the situation is occurring right now.

2.  Good question.  Listening tests can test the student's understanding of different people's pronunciation.  It is not about testing their own pronunciation but rather understanding the speaker's pronunciation (whether that is a standard American accent, an Australian accent, etc).  As far as grammar is concerned, when we conduct listening tests, it is still important for students to understand the tenses that the speakers are using in order to correctly answer questions.

As far as reading tests are concerned, many reading tests do include at least some writing.  It is in this section that grammar and spelling would be important. 

3.  Very good catch!  The line between production and speaking stages can sometimes be pretty blurry, but yes, they should be in speaking stages.  I think that must have been a genuine mistake on my part. 

Having students correct each other's work could be part of a writing stage.  Free discussion of a topic, if using previously taught grammar and vocabulary, would actually be part of a production stage.  Oral practice in pairs could be a part of a practice stage, if it is a following the presentation stage, and utilizing the previously taught structure and/or vocabulary.  It depends on whether the oral practice is controlled (practice) or a free form of oral practice. 

Well, I hope that helps, and if not, please just post again.  Also, thank you very much for your kind words of appreciation, it really does mean a lot to me.  I also wish you all the best.

Cheers,

Allan

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A