Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Module 2 [E>K & K>E]

Page

Name Ji A Kwon Date20-03-02 22:20 View2,829 Comment3

Content

Good afternoon. I forgot to post questions from M2 E to K part. Plus, some more of them from the K>E part.

[E>K]
~both insist that such firms are going to pull still farther ahead in a future, as easier access to capital and technology makes other competitive strategies ever simpler to imitate.
> 또한, 두 책 모두 그러한 회사들이 자본과 기술로의 더욱 용이해진 접근으로 인해 다른 경쟁적 전략을 쉽게 모방할 수 있게 됨으로써, 미래에 더 멀리 앞으로 나아갈 것이라고 강조합니다. 

From the translation above, I think there are too many words(clause) between the subject and the predicate.(Actually, I was frequently confused about this problem in other parts) And I've known that in Korean the subject and the predicate should be aligned as near as possible to make it easy to understand. But as one can see, the English sentence is too long that I had to put them(subject and predicate) apart in order not to miss any meanings of the original English sentence. Is the translation above way too awkward? Or is it fine to place them like that? If you say the former one, are there any recommendations?

The proliferation of inappropriate adult web sites has many parents really frightened.

While it is not exactly about the translation, shouldn't the above sentence be written 'The proliferation ~ really has frightened many parents'?
To be specific, I thought when I use [has/have+object+past participle] form, has/have is a causative verb. But, isn't the sentence above literally means that the proliferation has frightened many parents?
+ When I say 'I had my hair cut.'(meaning a hairstylist cut my hair) is it the same as 'A hairstylist had my hair cut.'?

[K>E]
1. From the lecture, I saw that '보조금' from '우리가 보조금을 받으면 연구는 끝난다.' was translated to 'grant money'. What is the difference between grant money, subsidy, and fund?

2. What is the difference between 'supervisor' and 'director'?

3. Are there any awkward expressions in the sentence below?
'The time to wait for ~~does not catch up even half of the time to~~.'

4. What is the difference between 'method' and 'means'?

Thank you!

Comment list

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A