Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Q&A

Page

Name JAEHEE JEONG Date20-04-10 05:07 View2,823 Comment2

Content

Hello, teacher! While I was studying Module 2, I had a few questions, so I wrote these questions:D

1. There's a word I can't hear while listening to this part of the class( module2 -> lesson4 -> video1 14:47). To be more specific,
Synonyms example "hit"
You said these words in the synonym of "hit"
punch, slap, smack, knee, head, [ ? ]
[ ? ]->I think it's a word that starts with the letter P. I want to know what this word is.

2. Among the "basic blackboard rules",
Is the reason why you are standing on the side is to maintain and make eye contact with our students?

3. You said, "Providing example in English is the most useful technique when teaching higher level classes". Then, is the class that offers these examples a bad class for young children? Do I have to use only visual materials and drawing to teach?

4. The best method for presenting the words “squeeze” and “glare” would be: -> Acting would be best, I think. Is it right?

5. Providing students with a translation of a word is better than asking students to translate a word for us.
->Is it false? If this sentence is false, are students looking up the dictionary or using translate app to translate for us? There is confusion about the meaning of the word "translation/translate".

6. When creating a structure table on the board asking students for suggestions and asking them to copy are two good ways to keep our students focused. ->Is it true, right?

Thank you for always answering my questions kindly and in detail, have a good day:D

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Jaehee Jeong,

I will try my best to answer these questions:

1)  The word you are looking for is "poke". 

2)  Yes, this is a hard rule to follow, but we should try to stand to the side while writing on the board so that we can maintain eye contact with our students and also so that we do not block the board.

3)  No, I would say in general that providing English examples is useful for all levels, but particularly useful for higher-level classes because other techniques won't be as useful for higher-level classes.  Generally, for lower-level students, visual aids are far more important, but English examples are still useful.

4)  Yes, acting would be best.

5)  Actually, this means that you might ask them the meaning of a word in their language, and then they translate it for you.  I would say that this is better and is a good way to check for understanding, although we should not do this too often since we are trying to create an English atmostphere.

6)  Yes, this is true!

Well, I hope that helps and have a nice weekend (and also stay safe)!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors