Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] module3

Page

Name JAEHEE JEONG Date20-04-11 14:04 View2,490 Comment4

Content

Hello teacher! There is something I don't understand while watching the [module3->lesson5-3] class.
[Activity 5 Questioning Strategies], draw a table that analyzes A,B,C,D-1,2,3,4,5 and the parts that the teacher explains, but I don't understand why you're marking X in this part. I keep looking at it over and over again, but I don't understand.

(video 11:14 and 20:26)
Does the question itself "Does it give lazy students a chance not to answer?" this is it.
What this question implies is, I think, is that we don't pick up lazy students, we don't give them a chance to answer, we just leave them alone. But why the 'X' mark?

In case of A, when students shout together, they don't correct answer, they lip-sync.
In case of D, students who raise their hands voluntarily announce the answer. On the other hand, lazy students do not raise their hands, nor say the answer.

The 'X 'mark means NO. That's a sign of denial. Isn't it so? Saying 'X(no)' means giving a lazy student a chance to answer, right? Shouldn't we have a yes check mark on this question? I'm so confused.

Thank you in advance

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi JaeHee Jeong,

Actually, this part is confusing for a lot of people.  When I write the 'X' on the board, it does not mean that this is not true, or false, rather it means that it has a negative effect.  Does that make sense?  If not, please post again and I'll try to get back to you asap!

Have a great day!

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi again JaeHee  Jeong,

In regards to your question about module 3, I can't really remember saying that, but yes, they have the same meaning.

Now, let's take a look at your other questions:

Q1:  Your answer is unfortunately wrong, because asking students for suggestions is a good way to keep your students attention while writing a structure table on the board.  The correct answer is option 1, because this is done AFTER presenting, and thus it does not make sense.

Q4:  This answer is correct.  The reason why it is correct is because while you can provide a definition for vocabulary, it is usually not helpful, and for a structure, it is even more unhelpful. 

Q7:  You are correct again.  This is the best way to present the meaning of a structure if possible (it is not always possible; it depends on the structure).

Q8:  You are correct; this is false.  The reason why it is false is because when we ask students to raise their hands to volunteer an answer usually only strong students will raise their hands, and weak or shy students won't.

Well, I hope that helps and have a nice day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors