Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Module 3

Page

Name Eun Sung Choi Date20-05-02 18:40 View2,181 Comment4

Content

1. We can keep our students focused on the board while writing a structure on it by doing all of the following except:

2. Would you prefer to study Swedish or Spanish is an example of a “information question”.

I was wrong these questions and I didnt understand why I was wrong.
Especially, no2 question is just depending on people in my opinion. The question is too subjective.

Thanks, 

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Eun Sung Choi,

Well, let's take a look at your questions:

1.) The answer is the first option, by asking them to make their own examples.  This is something that we would obviously do after presenting, and thus it would be part of a practice stage AFTER we have presented the structure, and thus it is the correct answer.

2.) Remember, we talked about three basic types of questions in module 3 that we can ask after presenting vocabulary: "yes/no" questions, "or" questions, and "wh-" (or information) questions.  Information questions generally lead students to give full sentence answers, and they start with "what, who, which, how, etc".  "Or" questions ask about preference.  Because this question is asking about someone's preference, it is not an information question, because the answer could just be just one word ("Swedish" or "Spanish"). 

Does that make sense?  If not, please post again and have a pleasant week!

Eun Sung Choi님의 댓글

Eun Sung Choi 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Well now I got it. Thanks,

However, people like me might understand Swedish or Spanish as a language like Korean or Japanese not as 'word'
I think it is better to change into specific words to make it clear, isnt it? like 'Rice or computer'

Thanks,

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi again Eun Sung Choi,

Yes, actually the question is asking the person what language the person would like to learn, Spanish or Swedish.  It does not matter, because it is still an "or" question, and students can give a one word answer. 

Have a great day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?