Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] module 4 quiz

Page

Name Soo Yeong Kim Date20-08-24 20:45 View2,827 Comment3

Content

Dear Teacher,
I was accidentally submitted the quiz, so I've got some points off.

My question is not whether I can get a second chance, but the quiz questionnaire.

Here's the answer I posted.

How are controlled practice and free practice different (explain in detail). What kind of topics are useful for free practice activities?0.40 / 0.70
Student's answer
 Controlled practice is the practice that teachers control the questions, structures or vocabularies. It is good to use mechanical practice, a repetition or a substitution, because it is useful to get used to the structure. Students can Internalize the structures through activities that teachers tell to do. Free practsFor free practice, real life example, imaginary situation or imaginary situation based on a picture are useful topics.
Correct answer

Teacher's comment
Decent answer, but you did not explain what free practice is about. 

I was first confused with mechanical practice and meaningful practice but then I realized that it's not.
Is my understanding of controlled practice is right?
Basically, I thought controlled practice is the practice that a teacher controls vocab, structures or situations which students practices English.
Free practice, on the other hand, is more flexible and students have more control on pracitcing English. Teachers might able to provide topic, but then it's up to students to continue talking.

I wonder if you could tell my understanding is correct, and if not, please explain difference between controlled practice and free practice.
I also want to make sure how mechanical practice and meaningful practice are involved in controlled practice and free practice.

Thank you,
Soo Yeong

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Soo Yeong,

Yes, you're understanding of the difference is pretty good.  However, I would also add that one of the differences between the two is how much you (the teacher) interact with your students.  With controlled practice, you will control the vocab and structures, like you said, but you will also be working with them, and at most, they will be working semi-independently.  On the other hand, when it comes to free practice, students should work independently. 

Well, hope that makes sense and have a nice day!

Soo Yeong Kim님의 댓글

Soo Yeong Kim 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Thank you for your explanation.

I got the difference between controlled practice and free practice.
My another question is that how mechanical and meanigful practice are related to controlled practice and free practice.

So...in controlled practice, teachers can start with emchanical and then move on to the meaningful practice... ? (is it correct?)
On the other hand, freep ractice is more like a meaningful practice..?

Thank you and have a nice day!

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Soo Young Kim,

Yes, you're right.  In general, free practice is similar to meaningful practice, it just depends on how much independence the students have. 

Have a good day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?